olmadan [edited!]

great things are done by a series of small things brought together

-vincent van gogh

The first day of the school week rolled by quickly with the thoughts of Phil whirling around Dan's head in a nonstop tornado. He thought of his form in the grass and the words that he spoke. Their "space talk" had really stuck to Dan, leaving him with a hint of existentialism. He had problems, he knew he had problems, but all of those problems seemed to be pushed away as his new problem came in. Phil, with his stupid shiny eyes and stupid pretty wings and stupid confusing opinions had swooped in and carried Dan away from reality.

Now that was a problem.

A loud chime rang through the air, alerting the students to proceed to their next class. Dan hurried out of the art room to avoid any awkwardness with Charlie, who hadn't actually said anything all period. The usually charming boy had sat slumped over in his desk for the duration of class, angrily scribbling onto a piece of paper. Dan wondered if it was due to the infamous koi pond incident. It shouldn't be, he thought. Charlie had no need to worry about competition. There was no way in hell Phil would even consider Dan.

But why else would Charlie be upset?

Dan wove through the thick crowd of students, huffing wildly as he desperately tried to make it to In-Flight on time. There was no flying in the school unless it was between floors, which seemed rather stupid to Dan, and he didn't even know what if was like to have wings. Wouldn't it just be more convenient?

Quick feet carried Dan down the several flights of stairs he had to endure every day. The marble steps only ended at the entrance of a small garden pathway, fading from smooth stone to soft gravel. The area was usually vacant, him constantly almost being late to class, but today there were a few stragglers. Dan made his way up the path with his head down as two blonde haired boys sat against the wall of the school that the path followed, laughing as soon as Dan came into sight.

Dan rolled his eyes and sighed, trying his best to ignore them. But then again, it's a bit hard to ignore being tripped.

Immediately, the boys let out a chorus of laughter, the contents of Dan's bag spilled all over the ground. He groaned, his hands suspending him from completely hitting the ground. he lifted his head slowly, his brown hair falling over his eyes. Through the strands, he could see a very pleased Charlie Skies smirking from the opposite side of the garden passageway.

"Yeah, really original." Dan mumbled, his face hot. Charlie grinned, the boys laughed, and Dan flinched as someone grabbed his arm.

"Are you alright?" Phil asked, his voice full of panic. His eyes were wide, searching around desperately until connecting gazes with Charlie, whose grin faded immediately. It was if the pair was talking without words, Phil's expression changing from worry, to anger, to pity, then molding into a mix of all three.

"We're done."

The words rang out through the garden, and everything stopped.

Phil helped Dan stand entirely, allowing him to use him as a balance if needed.

"Can you walk?" Phil grabbed Dan's elbow gently to flip him around towards the stairs.

"They didn't beat me, Phil." Dan said in a soft tone, the color slowly draining from his face as a cloud of anger entered the atmosphere.

"Let's go," Phil pulled Dan by the elbow, his strides long and his wings entirely tucked back.

"Phil," Charlie said in a dangerous tone, but Phil did anything but stop walking.