ten

I walked upstairs the guest bedroom with the golden accents. It was the room I first stayed in, the one I always went to for peace. Now I'm going to it to look for a dress. This room seems to have a lot of purposes.

Inside, I recognized a couple people. Nancy and Sofia really. There was one other woman who ran frantically along the rack in the middle of the room. On that rack there were gowns of almost every shape and color imaginable. I saw a fluffy black one, a slim blue one, one that seemed to be made of diamonds and another that looks like pure gold. Each of them would catch anyone's eye, and I'm sure that is exactly what Christian intends to happen.

The woman stopped her fussing as soon as I entered, and both Nancy and Sofia bowed their head. I nodded, before moving to sit on the bed. I still felt a little nauseous.

The woman looked at me, shaking her head. "You're skinnier than I thought. Mr. Bade is not the best at describing his own wife!"

I raise an eyebrow. Wife? Since when have werewolves ever been married, let alone call their mate anything but their mate?

She's a human, Alena. Came Nancy's voice. I looked at her, then to the other woman. Human.

We let humans on our land?

She merely shrugged, and turned back to the woman, who was now pulling dressed off the rack and holding them up to my body.

"Well, purple is not your color, and neither is green. It clashes with the green in your eyes." I couldn't help the chuckles as she turned back to the rack. This lady is completely crazy! How can the color of my eyes class with a dress?

"Actually, I want a red dress." I told her. She looked at me, squinting. It was as if she were picking out every little piece of my body, maybe to see if red would clash with my eyes as well.

The lady turned back to the rack, instead popping back up with red dresses strewn across her arms.

"Well, the lighter reds don't seem to work on you. Darker reds, yes I think those will work."

In the following hour I was forced to try on a multitude of dark red dresses. The first was a mermaid, or whatever that is, something I didn't really like. The second was poofy, taking up a huge amount of space in the room. Another one was tight around my waist, but the skirt itself was completely see through, with red roses accenting the fabric. I didn't like it at all, and neither did Nancy or Sofia. I knew that Christian definitely would not like something that would show my underwear, and quickly I made her give me another dress.

Finally she handed me what seemed to be the millionth dress. As I put it on, I watched in the mirror as it flowed from my waist and onto the floor. It looked like Cinderella herself could wear it, like a princess rather than me should own this in her closet.

The dress had long, sheer sleeves and was completely backless. The skirt was a satin or silk material, flowing from the band around my waist in almost five feet every direction. Now I could see what the crazy human designer was talking about - this dress could compliment my eyes, even my hair.

I walked out of the closet, watching as both Nancy and Sofia's eyes widened. The human nodded, smirking at her own work.

"That's the one!" Nancy declared. "She'll look gorgeous in that dress!"

Sofia nodded. "She already looks gorgeous."

My cheeks flushed bright red, but I moved to the mirror once again. With the sunlight now reflecting, the red looked even better.

Finally, I nodded. "I want this one."

The human woman nodded pushing all the other dresses aside. I turned to the side, looking at the back of the dress. It was like a tail, longer than the rest of the dress.

"Christian will love it." Nancy said, standing up and grabbing the skirt. She pulled it out, laying it out on the floor.

Of course he'll love it, I'm wearing it. Besides, even if he didn't, I love it. I look amazing in it, something that doesn't normally occur. Usually I look like something that just crawled out of the trash can. I'm surprised he even lets me out in public.

"This dress is seven hundred," the woman said, interpreting our conversation. She already had most of her stuff packed up.

"My...husband has the checkbook. I'll go get it." I told her. She stuck her chin up and nodded her head.

Quickly I changed back out of the dress and left to find Christian. He sat in his office, hunched over paperwork. He wore a simple white shirt and jeans. His hair was still kind of messy.

"Hey, I need the checkbook." I told him, rounding the desk and placing my hands on his shoulders. Chris sat back, looking up at me. There was a smile on his face.

"Did you find a dress?" He asked. I nodded.

"It's dark red and gorgeous. You'll love it." I told him, squeezing his shoulders. It's the color he asked for, and I look good in it. I think. Either way, he'll be perfectly happy with it.

"How much?" He asked. He reached inside one of the drawers, pulling out the checkbook. I bit my lip. I don't know if this dress is expensive or not for him.

"Seven hundred."

I saw no surprise from his face. He just filled out the check quickly, with no hesitation. Soon enough, he had ripped out the paper and handed it to me.

"You better look like a goddess in that dress, Alena." He chuckled. I leaned down beside his cheek.

"Oh I will, husband." I smiled, pecking his cheek before leaving the office. I smiled to myself, and as I gave the check to the lady and watched her leave, I thought about what he would think about the dress.

I'll make one hell of a statement at that ball.