Chapter 1

Dr. Treviño stood before the Chancellor's desk, waiting for him to sign the page that would change the future, and turn the tide of the war. His pen hovered above the signature line as he finished reading the last paragraph. Dr. Treviño's smile overtook her blue eyes as the Chancellor's pen glided across the page, sealing fate and her future. Dr. Treviño took the signed page from the Chancellor's outstretched hand and turned her smile to him.

"Here's to a bright future, Chancellor Baron."

Marisol collapsed panting onto the grass to the side of the large running track. She sat up slowly, looking back toward the Academy before accepting Ariel's hand up.

"I beat you again, Marisol!" Ariel exclaimed brightly. Marisol exaggeratedly rolled her eyes.

"Your legs are deceptively tiny," Marisol replied dryly.

"Hey, just because you are 5'7" doesn't mean 5'3" is tiny!"

"Yes, it does."

Ariel punched Marisol and dutifully picked her back up off of the grass again. Marisol rubbed her cheek with a groan.

"Did you really need to give me a new bruise before training today?"

"Yes, I did." Marisol grinned reluctantly at Ariel.

"Okay, okay, I deserved it."

Both girls laughed and began walking back to the main Academy building. As they grew closer to the large stainless steel and glass structure, a sleek limousine came into view in the front parking lot. Marisol looked over at Ariel excitedly, only to find that her petite asian friend had already taken off toward the Academy.

"Ariel, wait up!" Marisol yelled as she raced to catch the faster girl.

Ariel flung open the glass door of the atrium, Marisol panting after her. The enormous room held a glittering chandelier and a large fountain of lightly glowing water. Ariel and Marisol ran their hands through the fountain's water, savoring the shiver that ran up their spines as their skin glowed.

The sound of high heels on the spotless floor made the girls turn toward the front entrance of the atrium. A small woman in an immaculate suit and two inch heels stepped into the atrium along with Ethan and Easton. Ethan's familiar scowl contrasted Easton's wide, bright smile.

"Easton!" came a feminine cry from the other side of the atrium. Easton's smile grew wider as a blur of long brown hair leapt into his arms. Sydney giggled as Easton caught her mid-run and spun her around in the air. Easton's booming laugh matched his large, muscular, 6' frame just as well as Sydney's giggles matched her petite yet well endowed 5'7".

"Don't take all of the warm welcome," said a silky voice from the back of the atrium. Melanie walked forward expertly in her six inch heeled, black, lace up ankle boots. She flicked her waist length soft blonde curls over her shoulder before fixing Ethan with a warm smile. Ethan reluctantly smiled back at her with grudging affection. Melanie waggled her eyebrows at him and his tight smile melted into a genuine one. She pulled him into a hug and he awkwardly patted her back.

Marisol groaned inwardly, wishing for the thousandth time that she could be that naturally sexy in heels. The only heels Marisol could handle were inch ones. Not to mention all that hair!

She was snapped out of her thoughts as the well dressed woman cleared her throat. Ethan and Easton snapped to attention, or as close to it as a guy can when he has 110 lbs of seventeen-year-old girl in his arms. Sydney giggled softly from easton's arms and was promptly ignored by the woman. She began to stride determinedly down the hallway behind the atrium, trailing Ethan, Easton (still carrying Sydney bridal style), Marisol, Ariel, and Melanie. A tall willowy young man ran up to meet her.

"Doctor! You're finally here!"

He was fixed by a steely grey glare from the woman, and he visibly wilted under her gaze.

"One can only go as fast as traffic allows, Richard." She replied dryly. "Now what was so important that I just HAD to get down here at the speed of light to see?"

Richard looked thoroughly embarrassed, and rather like a kicked puppy, in Marisol's opinion. He led the Doctor to the door no one was ever allowed through and she motioned for everyone to go away.

"As you were, everyone. Ethan, you're with me."

Marisol peered after the trio as they entered the mysterious doors, but found only another set of doors beyond the first. As the stainless steel shut behind them, conversation started up among those left in the hallway.

"What's it like Outside, Easton?" Ariel asked excitedly.

"it's not much, just a bunch of cars and bad-smelling air from what I've seen."

"Oh." Ariel seemed disappointed, until Melanie stepped in.

"I think you forgot to mention the lights and the vast amounts of people."

Ariel's eyes grew wide.

"You've been to the Outside, Melanie?"

"Once or twice. The Doctor took me to a city called New Amerada, the center of the country and the war."

"I'm down for story time," Marisol began. "but we are being called elsewhere." The white walls had the words, MARISOL AND ARIEL TO COMBAT RING THREE drifting lazily along their led surface. "You're continuing at dinner tonight though!" Marisol dragged Ariel away toward the combat practice arenas. Melanie laughed and waved at their retreating backs.

"See you at dinner!" Melanie called after them.

***

Sorry about the late update, my wattpad didn't want to publish on Sunday.
Marisol is above