Chapter 52: Evolving, Battling, Etc.

~Kouji POV~

Suddenly a huge explosion rocked the castle. I lost my footing and crashed to the ground, as did all of the others. Even the Celestial Digimon cried out with alarm. I tried to call out to Kouichi but all the air had been knocked out of me.

"Lady Ophanimon!" From outside the castle Nefertimon's voice floated to us and she followed quickly behind it. "My Lady! The Destruction Dragon is approaching from the south!"

"Sorcerermon!" Seraphimon called.

The magician Digimon appeared before the sound of the summons had died away. "Lord Seraphimon, the land is being torn to shreds in its wake!"

"We must make our stand here and now," Seraphimon declared. "Before our world is completely reduced to ashes!"

"Nefertimon, summon the servants and prepare for battle," Ophanimon ordered.

"Yes, ma'am!"

"We'll help too!" Takuya said. "With all of us together we'll definitely win!"

"No, children," Ophanimon said. "This is our battle. You must wait here."

"But Ophanimon," Izumi protested, "weren't we brought here to do this? Why should we wait behind?"

"Because not all of the spirits have been found," she explained. "Until they are, the warriors will not be at full strength. Likewise, the Destruction Dragon is also not yet at its full strength. If we can defeat SkullWyvernmon now and free Ally, you all can find the last spirits before the Destruction Dragon can regroup and our world will be safe again."

"But if we all work together won't we be much more likely to win?" Tomoki asked.

"We cannot risk it," Seraphimon insisted. "You all must remain safe at all costs."

Then Nefertimon swooped back into the room. "My Lord and Lady Celestials, the armies are assembled and ready to charge."

"Come Seraphimon and Ophanimon. The time for battle is at hand!" Cherubimon declared. Outside, the rumble of thunder echoed.

Ophanimon lifted her hands - in one a shield materialized and in the other appeared a lance. Seraphimon did not conjure any weapons but his fists tightened and the air became charged with energy.

"Stay here, children," Ophanimon reiterated. "If we should fall, you will be the final hope."

I nodded solemnly and I saw most of the others agreeing just as seriously. We had gone up against SkullWyvernmon ourselves and I knew that even the Celestial Digimon would have a tough time of it. But if the Destruction Dragon really wasn't at full strength, perhaps it could be done. Perhaps the Angels could free Ally and we could restore the world before it was completely destroyed.

The Angels left the tower, flying through the air and I saw flights of monsters join them from the lower floors. At the same time ranks of ground monsters streamed forth from the front gate. The amassed army, led by the three shining figures, arrowed straight at SkullWyvernmon's hovering shape.

With a tremendous shriek the battle began.

Cherubimon threw his long arms up and from the black sky fell ruby-colored bolts of lightning. They hit all over SkullWyvernmon, knocking her downwards through the air. She howled with pain and rage and regained the altitude, baring her gleaming bone fangs. Then in a heart-stopping flash she rushed at Cherubimon, snapping her tattered neck forward to seize him.

But the other aerial Digimon had closed in around her. Energy attacks crackled through the air, crashing down upon her like rain. Even the combined strength of all those monsters wasn't enough to break her fighting will though and she shrugged them off like they were nothing.