Chapter 22: A Big Misunderstanding

~Junpei POV~

"RAAAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!"

"Watch out, guys!" Having Spirit Evolved into Beetlemon, I interposed myself between my friends and the Tuskmon running amok in the Digger Digichrome Mine. "Golden Thunder!"

The punch sent Tuskmon stumbling back into the mine wall, narrowly missing one of the support beams. It roared in pain and fury and charged at me again. "Horn Driver!"

The tusks on its back lengthened and shone with light as it aimed them squarely at my midsection. "Argh!" I somehow caught the horn trying to skewer me and dug in my feet to hold the Tuskmon back since the others were still behind me.

"Endlich Meteor!" A stream of gold and black energy shot into Tuskmon's side knocking it over.

"Wah!" I cried as the blast toppled me over too. I heard Takuya shout as I nearly landed on top of him. "Watch it, Loweemon!"

"Sorry, Beetlemon! Kouji, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Kouichi. Takuya, Izumi, we should get out of the way." Kouji started pulling the other two farther up the mine and away from where Tuskmon was getting up.

"Gah! If I had Agunimon's spirit I could help!" Takuya spat.

"Well, you don't, so for now you'll just have to sit this one out!" Izumi scolded.

I was relieved as they left: one less thing for me to worry about. This battle and Ally's predicament were taking up enough of my brainpower. I got ready to square off against Tuskmon once it was back on its feet again.

"What's the plan, Beetlemon?" Loweemon asked me. Tuskmon had fixed its piggy little eyes on us and was growling, ready to attack.

"I don't know," I replied testily. "He's got a real thick hide and those horns of his are nothing to mess with."

Suddenly it charged us yet again with a roar. "Horn Driver!"

"Endlich -"

"Thor Hammer!"

Loweemon and I attacked at the same time without realizing it. It probably wouldn't have made a difference except that my technique threw me directly into his line of fire.

I bashed Tuskmon in the head but luckily for me Kouichi redirected his own blast to miss me - instead it struck one of the support posts and it burst into splinters. At the same time Tuskmon fell back into another support and sent it tumbling down.

"Argh, you humans!" Drimongemon raged from a side tunnel. "You're going to bring down my whole mine!"

"Sorry!" Loweemon called.

The shouting distracted me just long enough for Tuskmon to launch a counterattack. "Panzer Knuckle!" it raged, crouching to all fours and slamming its head into me.

I flew backwards, almost to where Takuya, Kouji, and Izumi were and landed flat on my back in a stupor. "Junpei!" I heard Izumi cry.

"Ugh, I feel like I was hit by a bus..." I groaned.

"And now it's aiming for Kouichi!" Kouji shouted. "Get up, Beetlemon!"

I forced myself to my feet and waded back into the fray again. "Lightning Topper!" But Tuskmon saw me coming and it blocked me with one of the tusks on its back. I hit the wall with a grunt and Tuskmon charged after me. I saw Loweemon readying an attack but Tuskmon noticed him too. He smacked him away with his tail and my blood froze as those eyes fixed on me again.