28. i said, no

December had finally come, the weather was cold and inactive, unlike the inhabitants of the small town in Maine who didn't really need to bundle up as the winter weather was no where to be seen, yet.

Over the past month Keith and Lance had hardly left each other's side, Pidge, however, found it sickening, as they both had inclined to many public displays of affection, especially in front of her. In said situation Keith would usually have his middle finger up in Pidge's direction and his lips on Lances.

Though for today, Keith and Lance were not together, Lance was currently with Pidge, Hunk and Shay, Hunk's new girlfriend, who weren't quite dating but it's was obvious to anyone that they liked each other. Keith was with Shiro and Allura, who were supposedly Christmas shopping, and both asked his opinion on stuff he couldn't care less about.

Then Allura dragged him off, away from Shiro into another store.

"What are you doing?" Keith asked her.

"I need your help buying something for Shiro." She told him.

"Get him something sentimental I don't know." Keith replied, gently twisting his arm out of Alluras grip.

"No I did sentimental last year, I want to get something that he'll really like." Allura said, Keith sighed and looked around the store the girl had dragged him to. It was a men's clothes store, lots of plaid and denim surrounded him and Keith felt slightly claustrophobic.

He turned back to Allura who was looking through the clothes, and began looking through them himself when someone tapped his shoulder. Turning to face the person, Keith sighed and looked back at the clothes.

"Go away Johnny." He muttered, finding a dark pair of ripped jeans, though Lance would say he has enough dark ripped jeans, these were rolled up at the ankles, Keith liked them.

"I just want to talk" His ex-boyfriend told him, his statement sounding like a question.

"Well I don't, excuse you" Keith said walking past him and over to the t-shirts, wondering if Lance needed any. Unfortunately Johnny followed him.

"I'm sorry for how I acted, I shouldn't have done that to you" Johnny told him.

"No you shouldn't have." Keith said, agreeing with him for once, he pulled out a dark purple t-shirt with a few aesthetic rips in, Keith thought it might suit Shiro, he'd show Allura later, and he  hung it over his arm along with the jeans.

"But I want to try again, with you, I really miss you Keith." Johnny pleaded, and Keith almost laughed, and started walking back to Allura.

"I don't miss you, I'm with Lance, I don't want to try again, take the hint." Keith told him.

"But Keith I still love you." Johnny told him.

"Did you love me when you were having sex with someone else, or when I repeatedly told you to stop contacting me? No, I don't want to try again." Keith almost spat at him.

"But-" Johnny started.

"I said no" Keith shouted at him, and walked off, joining Allura and handing her the shirt. "What about this?" Allura smiles and took it from him.

"It's perfect, I think I'll get him one of those ugly jumpers too." Allura smirked a little and Keith smiled at her.

"How are you going to get him to wear it?"

"I have my ways." She smirked again.

"Can we go pay now, I don't like this shop" Keith mentally told himself not to turn around as him and Allura walked to the checkout and bought their clothes. Then they went off in search for a Christmas store that sold knitted jumpers, Allura on the look out for 'one that at least lights up', and Keith decided to maybe get one for Lance.

Lance and Pidge followed behind Hunk and Shay, who were awkwardly and adorably holding hands. Lance was mentally making a list of what to get people for Christmas, he'd get Pidge something Star Wars or Harry Potter related, Hunk that new cooking book he'd mentioned a few times, He'd get Shiro something stupid like he did last year.

Allura wanted some new hair curlers, he'd have to ask Shay to help him with that, Pidge probably wouldn't have a clue, he ruffled Pidge's bird nest hair to make a point. She growled at him and pushed him away, Lance just chuckled.

"Okay Gremlin where to next?" Lance said and Pidge glared at him, Hunk and Shay has drifted off towards one of the thrift stores, and Pidge eagerly followed them, Lance followed behind, his hands in his pockets, and a small smile on his face. He still didn't know what to get Keith.

Lance sighed and walked around the store, looking at the random items, picking something up now and then. Lance sighed, his mind still blank with ideas for what he should get Keith. He looked over at Shay and Hunk, who were smiling at each other. At Pidge, who had found something retro that she found interesting.

He thought of Shiro and Allura, of all his friends, of his family, of Keith. How they had all been there for him. A funny feeling crept up on Lance, a feeling that made his stomach churn and his back prickle with heat. Did he really deserve them? Did he deserve all that they had done for him? Or where they just feeling sorry for him? Lance swallowed the lump in his through and continued his way around the store.

Maybe he didn't deserve anything, he was too weak to deserve someone like Keith. Lance shook his head, trying to shake the bad thoughts from his mind. He sighed and forced a small smile as Hunk, Shay and Pidge came running out of the store, to join him.

"Everything okay?" Hunk asked him.

"Yeah I'm fine." He told his friend, though he was probably anything but fine, so was Keith.

end of chapter 28