Chapter 38

The next morning I wake up and my maids silently help me dress in a thick, short, black dress that flows elegantly to my knees. They braid my hair simply down my shoulder and don't worry about my makeup.

Amelia smiles sadly and slips my glasses on my face and hugs me tightly.

"I'm so sorry darling. Liliana and I are always here if you ever need us and we will take care of anything you need us to." She smiles and holds me upright.

"Thank you." I say and squeeze her and Liliana both tightly.

"No worries." Liliana smiles sympathetically and squeezes me tightly. "We were going to give you clothes to wear but we thought you'd prefer wearing your own while you're at home."

"Good thinking, ladies. Thank you both." My voice cracks as I speak and I turn quickly on my heels. I see Will by the doorway and attempt a smile.

"Are you ready?" He asks me and gently hooks his arm with mine. I nod and shut the door behind me as we make our way to the plane that would take me back home for the first time in months.

•••

After the plane lands I take a dark black car all the way to my familiar neighborhood.

"Would you rather be taken to your home or your aunts?" The driver asks.

"My aunts." I answer simply and wait for the next few minutes until I was parked in front of Kathy's house. I stare at it. It has been so long since I've been here and I'd changed so much.

Will steps out of the car behind me and takes hold of my hand, leading me to the door. About halfway to the door, it bursts open and Kathy pours out of it and pulls me into a hug before saying anything.

"I'm so sorry, dear." She whispers. She was in a black dress of her own with black tights and flats. Her face was red and eyes puffy from crying just like I'm sure I looked.

"It's alright." I say and attempt a smile. Kathy tries to smile back and turns to Will.

"Thank you for coming with her." She says politely and motions for us to follow her to the door. She pushes open the door and reveals James sitting on the couch with Colton beside him.

Colton pushes himself off the couch and runs through the floor to me. I bend to meet his arms and pull him up to my chest, hugging him tightly.

"I've missed you." I mutter against his head. He didn't say anything and I didn't push it. I sat down beside of James and Will followed beside of me.

"Hey." James said quietly to me. I smile sadly back at him and reply.

"Hey." I was glad to see him but wished it were under different circumstances.

"I better go get Colton ready. He hasn't even showered this morning." Kathy says and takes his hand to help him off the couch. He doesn't do anything to stop her and follows her out.

"Was she..." I trail off not knowing what to ask James.

"She died in her sleep. Peacefully and pain free." James grimaces a bit and continues. "I found her this morning when I was about to feed her breakfast."

I nod but don't say anything because of the tears that threatened to follow.

"Thanks for coming." James says across me and to Will.

"I thought it was important." He replies and squeezes my hand a bit.

"Yeah. Good call." James smiles a bit. "Happy late birthday by the way. Eighteen was a fun year for me." He attempts to lighten the mood.

"Only because the bar had just opened." I snort and roll my eyes. James and Will both laugh.

"You aren't wrong." James shrugs and shakes his head. We sit there silently for a bit until James speaks up again. "Colton stopped talking after we told him."

"I figured." I say after a minute. "I'm going to go clean up. I'll be out in just a minute." I stand suddenly and make my way to the bathroom calmly but it all breaks lose once the door closes behind me.

I didn't know why it all hurt so bad all of a sudden. Maybe it was the fact that I'd noticed how bad Colton had been hurting from this when I hadn't even realized it. James had to find her, too which will be something he will never forget. I sit in the floor against the bathtub and cry.

It only continues for a few minutes before there is a knock on the door and it is pushed open.

"It's okay." A familiar voice says to me. I look up and James is sitting by me.

"I feel sick." I mutter and turn to the toilet on the other side of me and lift the lid. I feel James scrape my hair from my face and wait until I've finished vomiting.

"Take your time." He whispers as I turn to him and push my head into his shoulder. I couldn't speak but after I regained my strength, I stand up and he helps me outside. "We better head out now. The car is taking two trips to get everyone."

I nod and follow James outside with Will behind me. Their small car was parked in the front and James ducks in with Will and I behind him.

"How long are you staying here?" James asks.

"Three days." Will answers for me since even I didn't know. James nods and I sit there silently.

After a long car ride we pull up to a familiar funeral home and I wished more than anything I could be anywhere else.

"Thank you for coming." I whisper to Will as James walks ahead of us. Will holds onto my hand and walks to the door.

"Anytime. I just hate that I never got to meet her." Will sighs and forms a straight line with his mouth.

"Yeah me too." I mutter and smile sadly a bit. "I know she would've loved you anyway though."

"You think?" Will asks.

"I do. She always loved the idea that I could be in your selection if you ever had one when you were older. I know she'd approve." I say smiling at the memories of her. Will just smiles and squeezes my hand.