Chapter 28

The third day was gone in a flash and the last day rolls around dreadfully soon. I loved taking Colton to the gardens at night and having long conversations with James again and talking about being a princess with Kathy. I didn't want them gone.

"You ready to head down?" I hear Will say from the door. I turn to him with a smile since I hadn't seen him standing here and nod. My maids made a beautiful navy blue gown with diamond belt and black designs spreading the bottom. The top was made of sheer material and my hair was in magnificent curls down my back.

"Sure

"Sure." I say with a smile. I hook my arm with his on instinct and start down the hallway with him. He was dressed in one of his fanciest suits for the farewell ball since it was a big occasion.

"You look beautiful." Will says and looks at me with glowing eyes. I couldn't help but grin and enjoy the fact that you couldn't see my blush through my makeup.

"You can thank my maids later." I reply with a short laugh.

"No, I don't think that's it." Will says with a cheeky grin in my direction. I roll my eyes and dip my head to hide my smile.

My birthday was just in a few days, but I hadn't said much about it to anyone. I didn't want anyone to worry about getting me anything or doing anything for me. Though I wondered how old the other girls were.

"How old are the other girls?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

"Most are nineteen but a few are eighteen almost turning nineteen." Will says. "Why?"

"I was just wondering." I shrug. "Why am I the only one that's seventeen?" I question.

"Honestly I don't know. Whatever the case, I'm glad it happened." He smiles and squeezes my arm slightly.

"Me too." I say quietly. But what if it hadn't? What if none of this had ever happened and I was left home to care for my mother and brother my entire life and never got to live myself? What if something happened to Will and everything amazing that happened would never continue? I push the thought to the back of my mind and continue walking with my arm squeezing tightly around Will's.

"Are you alright?" I hear Will's smooth voice ask.

"Yeah, Sorry, just thinking I guess." I shrug. We were at the ballroom now, but he pulled me aside by a bench beside the open doors of the room.

"About what?" He asks worriedly.

"It's just— everything here is so magical and I feel like everything is falling in the right place, but what if something was to happen? What if somehow I lose you? How am I going to be able to go back to my old life?" I had a grief-stricken look on my face as though something had already happened.

"Just don't worry about that." He says and takes both my hands in his. "Just let everything be perfect while it lasts."

I smile though still not completely able to forget about it.