~Chapter 11~

(Emily's point of View)

Following my father's call the two of us began to spend even more time together, cooking for each other every other day. We also started a chess game, playing every now and then when we had time. We would take long walks with a dog leash for each of us. Auburn had taken quite a shine to him, becoming more and more as his dog then mine.

I only had the opportunity to cook for him once, and while I may be gifted in multiple things cooking was not one of them. Nate even told me as much as he coughed from the overly salted food, and the undercooked chicken. He asked me at one point if I was trying to poison him, if I truly hated him that much.

Soon though the day came, the big moment to see if my family could accept my choices. We were asked to meet at Central Park, at 3pm, and apparently both families are going to be there to witness Nate and Mine's love.

I was anxious to meet the family; mother had only allowed me to know Harris's first name. Not wanting me to look him up and see what family he came from, she wanted me to have an open mind. Brandon Harris, I wonder what his full name was Who he is.

"You ready Amate?" Nathaniel's voice drifted through the wooden door to my room, soft and steady. I felt my shoulders relax slightly, having a partner in crime that was so sure was comforting.

While I still was on the fence about the fake nickname, I figured that I could live with it just as I had with Fenice. Even though I had finally found out what the original meant, Fenice, Phoenix, and while I didn't know what brought that nickname to his mind I did find a creative name for him.

Flashback...

We had just finished dinner and Ray jumped onto my bed, Auburn the little traitor had decided to abandon my room in search for Nate. He had bid me good night with a small peck on my lips and a sweet muttering of 'Sweet dreams Fenice.'

From that thought I finally remembered what had been annoying me since I had met this man. I snatched my phone up from the table seeing a text from Nick asking if Nate and I were ready to meet my parents.

I ignored him not wanting to get sidetracked like I had so many times before. I quickly looked up the google translator for Italian to English. I attempted my hardest into spelling the pesky word typing in 'Finice', thankfully I hadn't been too far off. Hitting in the recommended word 'Fenice' and finally seeing the meaning.

I quickly ran off into the hallway with a victorious smile on my face and yelled, "I am not a Bird you Cul!" I cussed although we both knew that I was only joking, somehow the nickname had become something I had just expected him to call me now.

End of Flashback

"Almost, one more moment." I looked down at the small object I was turning over in my hand. My little locket, the smooth texture was cold underneath my fingers. Slowly I placed the necklace on my dresser, I needed to face this challenge on my own.

"I love you Grammy Alicia." I placed a kiss on two of my fingers and pressed them onto the top of my locket.

I opened the door letting my eyes roam over Nathaniel's body, and for a moment I allowed myself to believe that this thing between us was real. That he was my lover and I was his, but then my emeralds met his sapphires. While I was sure that those blue orbs could make me do just about anything, it also snapped me back to reality.

"Do not worry Fenice, our bond can not be broken by them." He brought his hand to my lower back, my body shivered from the skin to skin contact this dress gave.

"Thank you, Chimere." We both laughed at the new nickname, which would last as long as Fenice had.

"I had wondered how long it would take you to look up Fenice. Truly surprising. We made our way into the elevator, his hand still wrapped around my waist pulling my closer to him.