My Decision is Made

Gracie

I pull on a pair of skinny jeans and black nike shoes over my no show socks. I put on a white v neck shirt and my moms necklace she passed down to me because I never leave the house without it. I apply some light makeup and pull my long curly hair into one big pony tail.

I look in the mirror and stare at my reflection as it stares back at me. This was me, nothing fancy or special, just unique in the same way as everyone else. I let out a deep sigh and refocus myself, I tell myself that it's just a date and that there's no reason to freak out. I can do this.

At 4 Jonny texts me telling me he's here and I take the elevator to the lobby. I find him at the door waiting for me with a bunch of flowers in his hands. He smiles big once he sees me and I happily skip over to him.

"Awww. Are those for me" I ask.

"They're not for your dad" he teases as he hands me them to me.

"They're beautiful Jonathan. Thank you" I smile.

"I wasn't sure what your favorite flower or color was so I got you a little bit of everything" I explain.

"Well I love them. And for the record, it's purple lilacs" I say and he smiles.

"Noted."

We hop in his car and head to a indoor arcade just inside the city. We pick out a ball and putter and hit the links. We share easy conversations and I find myself really enjoying something new instead of same old same old.

"Why are you so good at this" he asks as I make another hole in one.

"Believe it or not, this is my first time on a miniature golf course. But I do spend almost every weekend on a real one" I explain.

"No way, you golf" he gasps.

"Yup" I smile.

"That's pretty awesome, I love golfing" he claims.

"No kidding" I say.

"Yeah. In the off-season a few of the guys and I hit the links" he explains.

"Are you any good" I ask.

"I have a feeling I'm not as good as you are" he smirks and I start to blush.

"Well I'll have to invite you over some time" I say.

"I'll like that."

"So Jonathan, tell me about yourself. I'm sure you're more than just a hockey player that finesses old rich guys with desperate daughters over the weekend" I say and he laughs. "What's so funny" I ask.

"You sound just like my roommate" he claims.

"Is that a good thing" I question.

"Not particularly" he says with a wink and I shake my head.

"Tell me Jonathan. Who are you deep down" I ask as I point to my heart. He grabs the back of his neck showing off his arm muscles and I almost passed out right there.

"I'm not sure what else to say to you without lying that would make me sound like a good guy" he insists.

"Try me" I say and he lets out a harsh breath.

"I don't know what to say, honestly. I really really like you and I don't want my mistakes to break us up" he insists.

"We are not our mistakes. I have made mistakes before and I will continue making mistakes. But I will not let those mistakes define me. No. For I am not my mistakes but how I overcome them. And the same goes for you, you're not perfect and you shouldn't try to be to impress me or say things that aren't true to feel better about yourself. Mistakes only become problems when they no longer at mistakes but a lifestyle" I say.