Meeting with mom

"I think I'm going to see my mom tonight," I told Aurora next week, after we had been through every possible sewer rout, that we could find, and still not found any clues about where my dad might have gone to. There hadn't been any new robberies either, at least non-that we knew about.

"Really? That's a good idea," she said with excitement. I certainly wasn't that excited.

"I think so too. Maybe she knows something about dad, that could help us out." I had known it was a good thing to go and see her ever since I found out where she lives, but I just didn't feel ready to actually go and meet her. I still didn't feel ready, but now it already seemed necessary.

"You think she would betray him just like that?"

"Sure. There is no honor among thieves." My parents didn't like each other that much, plus why wouldn't my mom tell me things about my dad - we were still a somewhat dysfunctional family. The biggest problem with this was probably that my mom knew as much about dad as I did, maybe even less, since she had been in prison for so long.

"I guess you know her best."

"I don't think I know my family very well at all." I hadn't really spent much time with neither of my parents and they never told me anything about themselves. I guess now I might get my chance.

It was about eight pm, when I made it in front of the building my mom was living in. It was a very high luxurious apartment building in what you call a "rich people zone", quite far away from my university. Luckily, I could teleport there, because I looked up the building from the internet. I had no idea, how my mom could afford living there - all the things she stole had probably been confiscated, so she should have been just as poor as I was. Clearly, I was wrong. She must have had a secret stash hidden somewhere.

I figured, that if I go too early, she might be out of the house or something, but now that I thought about it, she was actually more of a night job kind of person. Still, I had come too far to turn away now.

I went in the building and walked towards the elevators. Her apartment was on the eighteenth floor.

"Excuse me miss, where are you going?" asked the man at the reception. I guess this apartment building was more like a hotel. I read from the internet, that it also had a spa, a gym, restaurant and some other pretty fancy extras included.

"I'm going to see my mom." I answered honestly.

"And what is her name?"

"Alexa Madson."

"Sorry, there is no one by that name in this building." I should have figured, that she didn't want anything to be related back to her previous life.

"Is there an Alexa with some other family name?"

"I'm not authorized to tell." If there wasn't one, he would have just said so.

"Look. It's late. I'm tired. I'm not in the mood for this. I haven't seen her in years, but I know she lives in this building on the eighteenth floor, so can you just call her or something, because she forgot to give me her number."

"Alright, I will call her and see, if she wants to meet with you," said the man, who was clearly not impressed by me. For a second I even thought he was going to call the police to kick me out.

"Thank you."

As he was calling my mom, I got really nervous and I didn't even know why. The worst thing, that could happen, was that she wouldn't want to meet with me. In that case I would have just teleported into her apartment and demanded an explanation. I didn't want to do it right away – no need to freak her out with superpowers.