47. Ghosts, Part One

TRIGGER WARNING: Mentions and implications of abortion.

The two days that had passed since the phone call that had flipped everything upside down had been the most stressful Audrey had faced throughout the course of her short engagement. Between a particularly awful bout of morning sickness and dealing with all the emotions that came with the wedding's postponement, she now had to figure out just how the heck she would break both sets of news to her family.

Alan had pulled strings in every aspect of the word to make sure his younger sister would have the wedding of the decade. Current and business partners from massive corporations had been invited, as well as some of America's fashion elite. There was a lot more riding on Derek's decision than Audrey's feelings.

Audrey sighed heavily as she flushed the toilet and washed up at the sink. She had all intentions on changing into something more comfortable once she got back to her bedroom - she was still in the clothes from the photoshoot she'd featured in half an hour before. To Audrey's surprise, Alan and Ashley were waiting for her.

Her brother stood with arms folded, his face clouded with an expression Audrey couldn't quite decipher. Her sister was sitting on the edge of her bed, tears rolling down her cheeks and a white stick in her hand-

Audrey paled.

"W-What are you guys doing here?" she asked, feigning ignorance.

"Audrey!" Ashley pulled her older sister into a bone-crushing hug, her sobs loud and heavy against Audrey's shoulder.

"Get off, Ash," she said gently, shifting her away. She tucked a hair behind her ear, taking a deep breath.

"B-but-"

"Why are you guys here?" Audrey asked once more, uneasily. Alan was too quiet.

Her older brother looked her directly in the eyes, his gaze stern and disapproving.

"Why did I just get off the phone with Mother telling me the wedding got cancelled?"

"I-It's been postponed," said Audrey quietly.

"I don't care!" Alan yelled, fuming. "What happened, Audrey?"

"First of all, you watch your tone, Alan. I am a grown woman and I will not hesitate to have you escorted out of this house."

Her brother scoffed.

Audrey rolled her eyes, her body still too weak to argue.

"If you really want to have a civilized conversation, then have a seat," she told him, patting the space on the bed next to her sister, who was still sniffling quietly.

"I don't want to sit," Alan argued. "I want to know what happened-"

"And I'll get to that once you stop yelling at me. I swear to God, Alan, if you snap at me one more time -"

Damn, thought Audrey. This hormone thing is serious.

Thankfully, he sat down.

"It's too soon."

"What?"

"We weren't even engaged a full two months, Alan. Neither of us is ready."

"You guys were together for two years-"

"I'm pregnant."

Alan stared at his younger sisters, first Audrey, then Ashley. Internally, Audrey groaned, unable to believe she had so carelessly blurted out what her siblings had already suspected.