43. Pills and Nuggets

Yay for the first chapter of 2018! Let's go!

Emma pouted as her mother slid back into the opposite side of the booth, the tray clattering as it landed in the middle of the wooden table. Instinctively, she reached for the chicken sandwich, flinching as Charlotte swatted her hand away.

"Ow! Why?"

"That's mine, first of all." Charlotte was firm. "And two, you know full well that you need to take your medication before you eat."

"But Mom-"

"No buts," her mother replied, sliding the glass of water in her direction, which was quickly followed by a packet of pills Charlotte produced from her bag. "Take it."

Grumbling, Emma ripped the package open, shaking the blue capsules into her palm with a grimace. If there was one thing Emma hated, it was taking pill medication. It was always a messy affair completely exacerbated by the fact that she could never manage to swallow a pill whole.

They were either crushed and swallowed with all the pride she had, or she'd end up choking, much to her discomfort. Either way, Emma and meds were not friends. In this case, though, less than two days after a serious anxiety attack, she knew she needed to follow the doctor's instructions. Plus, the sooner she could get off these pills, the better.

"They smell awful," groaned Emma, and Charlotte rolled her eyes, taking up the sandwich her daughter had been eyeing. Emma's face took on a wounded expression as her mother chewed.

"What?" asked Charlotte. "You thought I'd wait on your little production?" she asked, motioning to the pills in Emma's hand.

"I'm hungry and you take forever to take two pills. You have fun."

Emma scrunched her nose up. "You're mean, you know that, right?"

"That food isn't getting any hotter, Emma Rae. Stop wasting time-" Charlotte was interrupted by the sound of her phone ringing. Pulling it out, she checked the caller ID, swiftly handing it to her daughter.

Emma's eyes widened as Derek Daniel crossed the screen. "Are you seriously still not talking to him?"

"Answer the phone. He's going to want to talk to you anyway," replied her mother, ignoring the question.

"He would've called me, no?" asked Emma with an eyeroll, swiping the answer button.

"Hi, Dad," she greeted him.

"Emma? Oh, hey," said Derek.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you sound disappointed."

"Really now? Why's that?"

"I told Mom if you wanted me you'd call me, but she's stubborn."

"Well, you were right about that. Where's your mom?"

Emma scowled at Charlotte, who was making quick work of the chicken sandwich she'd laid claim to.

"Stuffing her face," she muttered in reply. "You sure you want to talk to her? There's nothing you wanna ask me? Or apologize for?"

"I know I missed the appointment, baby girl. I'll make it up to you, promise. But right now I really need to talk to your mother."

Home, mouthed Charlotte.

"She says you guys can talk when we get home. I don't think she's budging."

"Fine," huffed Derek. "I guess I better tell everyone at the same time anyway."

"Tell everyone what?"

"Home, Emma. I gotta go."

The call ended before she could respond.