Chapter 4

It's been two days since Steve jumped from the plane, and during those two days, I've been worried sick. No surprise, Colonel Phillips was furious when Howard, Peggy and I made it back to camp. There was much yelling on how if the 'Star-spangled man with a plan' doesn't make it then it might cost him his job and mine.

I walk into a tent to find Colonel Phillips with a soldier next to him tying up a letter. "As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers killed in action. Period."

I felt all the color in my face drain. "Sir...?" I utter in disbelief. I cough quickly in an attempt to gain my composure even though hearing those words is killing me inside, "The last surveillance flight came back."

Colonel Phillips turns looking at me as I place the photos onto the table. "No sign of activity," I mutter as I look at the photos from Schmidt's compound.

"Go get a cup of coffee corporal." Philips orders without looking up from the surveillance photos.

Peggy suddenly walks into the tent as well, "Good the two of you are here." Phillips mutters as he takes a few steps away from us and turns his back to us. "Can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the army's number one weapons contractor. The two of you are neither one."

I feel a fire light up under me, "With respect sir. I don't regret my actions."

Peggy steps up, "Me either sir. And the both of us can agree that Captian Rogers didn't either."

I nod in agreement with Peggy but all that does is anger Phillips more as he turns and glares at us. "What makes you thing I give a damn about your opinions? I took a chance on both of you. And now America's Golden boy and a lot of good men are dead. Cause you had a crush." He looks at me as he finishes his statement.

I scoff, "It wasn't that. We had faith." Looking over at Peggy I find her in agreement.

"Well I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down."

Fully knowing I could possibly be kicked out for talking out of turn I speak up again, "It will be sir. Because I will know I did everything I could to get my family back." Just as I beginning to feel my sudden burst of courage falter the the sound of some sort of commotion comes from outside the tent. Looking towards the sound I see soldiers running towards the entrance of the camp.

"What the hell is going on out there?" Phillips questions. We walk outside and follow the soldiers. I end up getting pushed back as many solders make their way towards the entrance. Once I got closer I see... Steve? He salutes Colonel Phillips, "Some of these men need medical attention. I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"That won't be necessary," Phillips concludes with a sigh.

"Yes sir." Steve nods respectfully and Colonel Phillips steps away.

Once he is away from the group I notice someone I feared I wasn't going to see again. "Bucky!" I shout in excitement not caring what the soldiers around me thought of me in the moment. I run up to him and wrap my arms around him, catching him by surprise. "I've missed you." The warmth of his familiar embrace causes tears to leave my eyes, "I am so glad you are okay."

"I've missed you too, little sister." He said ruffling up my hair with a smile. "Hey! I'm only five minutes younger!" I smack his hand away and try to pull off a glare but it turns into a smile. "I love you Bucky. I thought I lost you. Please don't do ever that to me again." More tears begin to fall down my face. He pulls me back into a hug, "I love you too Em. I'm sorry. I can't even imagine how you felt. I promise to do my best to not let you feel that pain ever again."

I looked over Bucky's shoulder to see Steve watching us. Pulling out of Bucky's hug I move over to Steve. "You're late," I state matter-a-factly.

He pulls out the transponder that has a bullet hole through it, "I couldn't call my ride."