Chapter 2

It's been over a year since I last saw my boys and I miss them more than anything. Steve and I have been writing to each other but it's been a couple weeks since I've gotten a letter. Which has me worried. He's never gone over a few days between writing.

I have finished my training, so I am now officially in the US Army through during my training I was recruited to work with the Strategic Scientific Reserve as an agent alongside Peggy. Peggy and I have grown to be best friends. She and I got transferred together to a training camp in New Jersey to help train recruits for the new super soldier program.

I drive up to the recruits with Colonel Phillips and Dr. Erskine. Just as we come to a stop I see Peggy punching a recruit in the face.

"Agent Carter!" Colonel Phillips shouts.

"Colonel Phillips." Peggy straightens and salutes him.

"I can see that you are breaking in the candidates. That's good." He then walks over to the man and tells him to get up.

I go over to Peggy and give her a small high-five. I look down the line of recruits and see a smaller guy. I know who it is in an instant.

Steve.

What is he doing here?

Colonel Phillips starts pacing in front of the men, "General Paton has said that wars are fought with weapons, but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best... Men." He stops in front of Steve looking down at him. "And because they're gonna get better..... Much better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an allied effort, made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with one man. At the end of this week, we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers. And they will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of hell." He dismisses the recruits and leaves with Dr. Erskine.

"Rogers! Front and center!" I shout with a stern tone. He stumbles over getting into attention.

"What are you doing here?" I question especially knowing this isn't just a normal regiment in the army. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see him but I'm also extremely worried.

He looks up and the realization hits him, "Em?"

"Yes, now answer my question. How are you here?" I push lightly as I begin to walk us away from any prying eyes.

"Dr. Erskine gave me a chance. I guess he saw something in me." He tells me and there's an excited tone and smile to his face.

Figuring it's not worth worrying I break my serious tone and offer a smile, "Just like I've always have. It's good to see you Steve. I've missed you." I pull him into a hug and I feel all the worry disappear as I find myself in a familiar embrace after all this time.

"I've missed to you Em."

Pulling back the smile still rest on my face, "did Bucky ever get his orders? Last letter I got said he didn't but it's been a couple weeks."

"He got sent to England and got in the 107th squadron. Shipped out just a few days ago." He tells me.

I'm so proud of Bucky. I am proud he is serving the country. I am just hoping he will make it back in one piece. I don't even want to think about the possibility of losing him.

"Well, I got to go back to work. We will talk later. Good luck smalls." I tell him using his old nickname. I quickly kissed him on the cheek and turn to leave. I swear I saw his face flush bright red at my actions.

I still can't help but worry about Steve. This next week is going to be extremely tough for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~