Chapter 3

I don't realize the pod is open until I feel someone's hands on me as they help me out of it. I feel as if I just ran a hundred miles. My heart is beating fast. As if it's going to jump out of my chest at any second. As I open my eyes and notice everyone looking at us in disbelief. The first thing I do notice is I am significantly taller. I used to stand just over five feet but now I know I must be pushing close to six. Am I also significantly more muscular though I still hold my petite form somehow.

Looking up I notice Howard is the one that helped me out of the pod. I glance over to Steve and my eyes go wide. Steve isn't my skinny Steve anymore. He is extremely muscular and is much, and I mean much taller.

I quickly step out of Howard's grip and rush over to Steve wrapping my arms around his exposed abdomen. He is taken by surprise but quickly responds by wrapping his arms around me in return.

"How do you two feel?" I hear Peggy ask us.

"Taller." We say at the same time.

"You two look taller." She said then hands Steve and me shirts before walking off to talk with other people.

I slide the new shirt over my head then I turn back to Steve and smile. "I guess I can't call you smalls anymore," I tell him with a giggle.

"No, I guess not," Steve remarks with a much deeper voice grinning.

I look up into his eyes, "We did it." I marvel starting to get lost in his beautiful blue eyes. The same blue eyes I've been staring into for years.

"Yes, we did." He states in agreement with a small smile.

Every part of me is screaming to kiss him. We both slowly draw our faces closer to each other.

BOOM!

Steve quickly covers my body with his as an explosion rocks the room.

We look up to see a man with a gun taking the last of the serum.

"Stop him!" Erskine bellows.

The man suddenly takes a shot at Erskine which hits him right in the chest. Steve and I run over to him. I start to tear up when I see him laying there. Erskine weakly puts his hand up and points to Steve's chest and then to mine. As if telling us that we have to keep our good hearts. We both nod our heads. Soon after that Erskine takes his last breathe. Steve gets up and runs up the stairs out of the lab. I try to follow him but Howard stops me. "Emily, no let Steve handle this. I need to get blood samples from you to see if we can replicate the serum in case Steve can't get the last dose back."

I sigh but nod allowing Howard to lead me to the medical ward. A nurse comes over with a needle and an empty vial. "Miss, please take a seat."

I do what she says and she sticks the needle into my arm. After a few minutes of sitting there, Steve walks in. The nurse does the same thing to him as she did for me. The nurse then takes the needle out of my arm then walks off.

Steve is sitting across from me with his head held low. I grab his hand entwining it in mine. He looks up at me with sadness in his big blue eyes. We just stay like that in silence until the nurse comes back to take the needle out of Steve. Just then Peggy walks in with a file in her hands.

"Think you got enough?" I ask her.

"Any hope in reproducing the program is locked in both of your genetic codes." She explains while holding the file close to her chest. "But without Dr. Erskine, it could take years."

"He deserved more than this." Steve murmurs while fixing his sleeve.

"If it could only work twice, he'd be proud it was you two." Peggy consoles.