Chapter 37 - Bright Yellow

I sat at the Gryffindor Table in the Great Hall eating lunch with Marlene, Alice, Frank and Lily. We didn't have any classes that day, so we spent the time hanging out in the Great Hall. Remus, James and Sirius walked up to us and sat down. James sat down next to Lily and asked,

"So Evans-"

"No," Lily replied. "Leave me alone, Potter." 

"Where's Peter?" Alice questioned, noticing that one of the Marauders was missing. As if right on time, Peter walked over to the table and sat down next to Remus. 

"Did you do the dare?" Marlene asked Peter immediately, causing everyone else to frown. Peter smirked slightly before muttering,

"I'll do it tonight," Marlene smirked and continued eating. 

"Wait, what's the dare?" Sirius asked. 

"I can't tell you," Peter said and nodded at Marlene. "She said I couldn't."

"Right... well that's against the rules - Ow!" James suddenly exclaimed and glared at Marlene who continued eating like nothing happened. "Don't kick me!" She ignored him, but the small smirk on her face was filled with mischief.

"There isn't anything in the rules that says you can keep the dare from us," Sirius said,

"But there isn't anything in the rules that says you can keep the dare from everyone else,"  I stated, James and Sirius, glared at me in reply. 

"Besides... you'll mostly figure out the dare soon," Marlene said innocently and the boys blinked rapidly. 

"McKinnon!" James yelled in frustration. "What's the dare?"

"I'm not telling you." 

"I don't like you." 

"Yeah yeah sure" 

"Wow for once I'm not the one you don't like," I said slowly and turned to James. The others chuckled and James thought for a minute.

"No, I still don't like you." James lifted his left hand up. "You see, this is you and this is Marlene." He lifted his right hand up then placed it right underneath his left hand. "I don't like you, but I don't like Marlene more." I frowned and tilted my head in confusion.

"Yeah... because that makes sense," Remus said with amusement and the others laughed slightly again. James rolled his eyes.

"I'm saying that everyone I like is up here." He placed his hand up high in the air. "And Fall and McKinnon are down here." He slapped his hands on his table.

"Well, that's rude," Marlene stated with a bored expression and I nodded in agreement.

"And it still doesn't make sense," I added and James groaned. 

"Funny how both Marlene and Isabel are dating James' best friends," Alice stated and we all burst out laughing. 

"That could be one of the reasons..." James mumbled, thinking for a moment. Remus and Sirius frowned.

"Really?" Remus questioned, an unamused expression on his face. James rolled his eyes and huffed loudly but he didn't say anything else. Marlene and I glanced at each other then shrugged, starting to eat once again. 

The next day, Marlene, Alice, Lily and I headed to our first class of the day which was Transfiguration. The lesson started and Peter was the only Marauder in sight who sat behind us. Professor McGonagall called out the roll however she didn't get far as Sirius' name was second. McGonagall looked up from the paper and furrowed her eyebrows. "Where's Sirius?"