Chapter 25: Do You Want Me (Dead)?

Start from the beginning

"Victor?" Mama says answering the phone.

"Hello Mama." I mumble.

"It's good to hear from you. How are you?" She says, commencing small talk that I'm not in the mood for so I get straight to the point.

"Not so good. My boyfriend and I need a place to stay for a little while until we can sort out a place to live." I tell her and she's silent for a little while.

"We miss you and we love you, Vic. You're more than welcome to stay." She says hesitantly.

"And my boyfriend?" I say through gritted teeth.

She sighs a little.

"Does he have to? Can't he find somewhere else to stay? What about his parents?" Mama says and I roll my eyes. She hasn't changed.

"Never mind. I'll find somewhere else." I sigh.

I go to hang up but she stops me.

"No, wait. He can stay. You can both stay." She says and I can hear the pain in her voice as she gives in.

I'm honestly shocked. I never thought she would agree.

"Really?" I ask to confirm.

"As long as he's not like that other boy you were dating. The one that hurt you." She says.

"He's not, Mama." I assure her.

"Okay. As long as you're here then I'm sure we can ignore this." She says.

"Oh no no no. If you want me to come, you're going to treat my boyfriend with respect. You're not going to ignore this or anyone. He is a person just like you and you will treat him as such." I tell her sternly.

There's a little silence and she groans.

"You're asking a lot of me, Victor." She says.

"If you're not going to be a decent human being then we're not coming." I tell her.

"I'll behave." She says.

"Good. We'll pack our things and be around." I tell her.

"Bye Vic."

"Bye Mama." I conclude then hang up.

"Is she really that bad?" Kellin asks, taking my hand.

"They both are." I sigh. "Don't worry. I won't let them treat either of us like we're garbage. If they get too much then we'll leave and make other arrangements."

Kellin nods, giving me a sad smile.

"I still feel so bad about this entire thing." He admits.

"Don't." I murmur, kissing his temple. "The only important thing to me is your safety."

"Thank you." he whispers.

"No need to thank me. You mean a lot to me." I tell him.

But he just thanks me again.

-

"Vic, come in! Come in!" Mama exclaims opening the door.

It's weird seeing her. It's weird being back in this house. It's been nearly two years.

I pull Kellin and my suitcase inside and close the door. Papa appears smiling but doesn't even look at Kellin, neither did my mom.

"It's good to see you, Son." Papa says reaching forward and shaking my hand.

I shake his hand and just nod. I can practically feel how tense Kellin is so I decide to introduce him.

"This is Kellin, my boyfriend." I tell them.