Chapter 45

"A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness

"A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." - Joseph Conrad

Aysel and I land silently on the metal roof of an abandoned looking warehouse, down on the docks in Oakland.

My nose wrinkles in disgust at the scent of dead fish mingling with garbage, diesel fuel, and salt water lingering in the air

It's dark out, and since most of the businesses and warehouses in this area are closed, abandoned, or used for criminal activity, not much light is present.

It's quiet, with the exception of the ocean waves and a buoy bell sounding in the distance.

A few men are milling about below, smoking cigarettes, speaking in Russian.

I want to get this shit over with as quickly as possible, so that I can get back to Wyn. I hate how things were left, and I hope that Xadira is soothing her fears...although I'd rather it be me...it should've been me.

We materialize inside in a dimly lit area among nothing but crates of illegal guns and caviar, as well as an aging forklift. I sense Haderra up in the office portion of the building, so that's where we head.

The worn, frosted glass door is locked, so we materialize inside.

There's an old metal desk, but the chair behind it is empty. However, a toilet in the adjoining bathroom flushes and out walks Haderra.

She startles at our presence, but quickly tries to mask it.

Aysel and I stare in confusion at her, for a moment. She looks human, complete with a long, jagged scar down the left side of her face which she got during a fight in a Russian strip club.

I remember when she had cut Aysel's face before father had put her in that cell with Astatine, causing her not to heal. However, once I freed her and she was away from Astatine, she healed instantly, as if it never happened. 

Haderra, however, can't heal and never will, and has had to wear her ghastly scar. Talk about karma.

She's older now, 37 in human years, but looks worn out....rough. It appears that her human life hasn't been too kind to her.