poison and blood

𝔰𝔲𝔪𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔶 .

150 years ago, Damon and Stefan Salvatore died with the blood of a doppelgänger in their veins.

Present day, both of them returned to Mystic Falls, both for different reasons.

Damon Salvatore had returned to Mystic Falls to make his brother's life a living hell. The brothers, first disagreeing over a woman, were now mortal enemies, and along with a greater agenda, Damon was planning to make sure that for whatever reason he came, Stefan would want to leave Mystic Falls. Damon would bring death.

Stefan had come for a completely different reason, although both of the brother's returns included a certain doppelgänger.

Four months ago, a car crashed into a river off of a bridge, carrying two parents and their twin girls, Elena and Anastasia Gilbert. Stefan, being close by, heard the crash, and raced as fast as he could to help the family. He dove into the water, about to go down to save the family when he noticed a girl floating up, unconscious, through the water. Stefan helped her up, leading her to land, but as soon as he took a look at her face his heart stopped. It was Katherine. But it wasn't. Katherine wouldn't be unconscious in a river. Would she?

He had to swim back down and save the rest of the family. He pushed his way down, leaving the Katherine lookalike, going to save the driver first, but the still-conscious Grayson Gilbert shook his head and gestured behind him. Stefan swam to the passenger side, seeing the door closed but the window smashed. It was then that Stefan truly had a heart attack. Floating in the water, her hair spread out around her and her eyes closed, was another Katherine lookalike. A knife was in her hand, and the seatbelt next to her was slashed. It was clear that this one had saved the other.

Stefan ripped the door open, pulled the seatbelt out of the car, leaving it to float in the water, and grabbed the other Katherine. He swam up, pulling her to the shore right next to her sister.

Stefan went back down to save the parents, but it was too late. He couldn't hear their heartbeats anymore.

He tried to move on. Tried to forget. But his mind kept on going back to the sisters. If there was just one, he would've thought it was Katherine masquerading as a human, but there were two. As far as Stefan knew, Katherine couldn't double herself.