Part 1: Chapter 23

Both Sharni and Vince turned their attention to the boy who just spoke.

Vince turned outraged just to see the boy's face beaming like the brightness of the sun.

Great! He's here already. Vince thought in vain. He had no choice but to let go of Sharni's arm.

A big smile of relief came upon Sharni's tearful face.

"Steven!" She said excitedly.

Steven smiled back at Sharni and stretched out his arms to his side, ready for Sharni to fall into his embrace.

The rays of sunlight reflected on his brown leather coat as they seeped through the blinds of the classroom windows, giving the effect of light emitting from all angles of the top half of Steven's body. He resembled an angel who was sent from the Heavens.

Sharni could not help but notice Steven's pose looking just like a Bollywood hero all set to rescue his leading lady from the sinister villain's captive. Then, without a second to lose, Sharni ran to her hero and the side of her head softly against Steven's chest as she hugged him close. Her hands pressed against his back, clutching the folds of his coat.

Steven immediately wrapped his arms tightly around Sharni's delicate body and rested his forehead on her shoulder.

Sharni felt secure and fearless again, now that she knew her prince was here, holding her in the safety of his arms. No one could harm her now.

Vince scrunched his nose and turned away.

Urgh! What an eyesore!  He thought in disgust. He closed his eyes and tried to control himself by reminding himself that better things were coming his way. Not long now, Vince. Very soon, she's going to finding what an asshole he really is!

Vince opened his eyes and looked around the room while the young couple kept on holding each other tightly together. The classroom was almost empty. Then he fixed his view on Miss Sitar who was humming an Indian tune without a care in the world as she packed up her bag for her own break. She did not even seem to realize that Steven was in the room. Vince was pretty sure that the Geography teacher would have shrieked in shock to see him and immediately push him out. But Miss Sitar was so much engrossed in her own little Indian world that she was not going notice Steven's presence any time soon.

One thing for sure was that even though Vince's view was on Miss Sitar, his ears were strongly fixated on everything Sharni and Steven had to say to each other.

"I was so worried about you." Sharni said quietly. "I was so afraid you'd never come on time."

"I know." Steven replied back as quietly as Sharni did. "I was going to call you."

"Then why didn't you?" Sharni asked with a hint of anger in her voice. She suddenly looked up at Steven with her thin black eyebrows scrunched down in disappointment.

Steven smiled at her, brushing her bangs of her silky black hair away from her face. He knew that just by doing that, his soft touch on Sharni's face, she could not stay angry with him for long.

Then before answering Sharni's burning question, Steven briefly looked up at Miss Sitar who still had her back turned towards him as she kept on humming and packing her bag. He noticed Vince had his attention towards her too.

Steven figured that it was safe enough to talk, but he could not have been more wrong. His heart missed a beat just as he was about to open his mouth. He suddenly saw Vince peering at him from the corner of his eye. Then in a split second, with a stern look on his face Vince turned his head to face him again like a creepy ventriloquist doll.

Wow!  Steven thought with a shudder. You really are Vince Creep, aren't ya?

Vince's piercing bright green eyes kept glaring at Steven through his long black zig-zag bangs, waiting for him to say something.

Go on, Steve, tell her. Vince said to through his mind. Tell her exactly why you didn't let her know.

Steven sighed helplessly as he turned his gaze back to Sharni.

"Why don't we go outside where we can find a quiet spot?" He said softly. "Some place where no one can hear us."

Sharni knew what Steven was talking about. As quiet as this classroom maybe their conversation would not be as discrete as they would like it to be. She smiled and nodded in agreement.

A disappointed Vince watched the couple walk hand in hand out the door.

Steven, you clever bastard! You think I don't know what's on your mind?  Vince laughed with sarcasm from within. Oh well, I better not look like a stalker and follow you just yet. I have no doubt that what ever you say to her now, she won't believe in it for long.

Steven took Sharni to the park near the college where he was sure nobody they knew were around. They sat together on a bench and watched the beautiful fall afternoon scene in front of them.

Steven wrapped an arm around Sharni's shoulder as Sharni snuggled her head on his shoulder. He gently lifted her head up by her chin to have her eyes meet his.

As he gazed into Sharni's big brown eyes, Steven noticed how red they were. He could tell that they were filled with neglected pain.

"You didn't have a good day, did you?" He asked with a gentle tone in his voice.

Sharni lowered her eyes and shook her head. She tried to hold back yet another load of tear, but they were too much to keep in. A couple of big tears rolled down her face.

"I've never felt so insecure in my life." She sobbed. "Even Ronan was kicked out."

"I know. He sent me a text and told me everything." Steven said as he dried Sharni's tears off her face with his fingers. "And so I tried to come and see you as soon as I could."

Sharni took the opportunity to ask her burning question again. "Why didn't you tell me you weren't coming today?"

Suddenly Steven released his hold on Sharni. He sat there looking straight ahead with an expression of deep thought. How am I going to say this to her?

"Steven?" Sharni questioned. She sympathetically placed her hand on his to get his attention.

Steven turned his head to face her again. It was Sharni's turn to notice that something was bothering him as she looked into his small brown eyes.

"What is it?" She asked.

Steven gave in and sighed as he decided to take the risk and tell her everything she needed to know.