Part 1: Chapter 10

That afternoon, after college ended for the day, Vince stormed into the empty room 74. He was fuming by the day's outcome. Recalling from the moment it started with the most disturbing sight of Sharni and Steven kissing for the first time that morning, to the moment he was humiliated in Miss Hague's and Miss Sitar's class, he threw his briefcase in pure anger.

"Argh! Why did I have to go through this?!" He grunted through his teeth as aggressively took off his coat and tie, and threw them on the bed as well. "This was by far the worst day of my life!"

As he undid the top button of his shirt, Vince let out a big sigh, hoping that it would calm him down. But it nothing changed.

Then as Vince rolled his sleeves a quarter way up his arms, something caught his eyes as turned to face Sharni's bed. All of a sudden, he felt slightly at ease as there on Sharni's bed lay her black netted poncho all folded up.

Vince walked over to Sharni's bed and picked up the poncho. He closed his eyes and pressed it against his nose. It was soft like silk to the touch and the sweet scent of the perfume was still as fresh as it was this morning. It put a smile on Vince's face as it helped him remember the good moment of the day when he did manage to be with Sharni when Steven was not around. It was a moment of bliss.

Ah! How I wish to have more of those times when it's just me and you, Sharni!  Vince thought as he squeezed the poncho and kept on sniffing the fragrance with his eyes still shut. I want you beyond eternity!

Vince's smile grew as he figured now that Sharni had her poncho off; her abdomen was free to touch.

Ah! You made me imagine you so much better Sharni!  Vince said to himself as he imagined Sharni wearing her flowery lace trimmed white crop top and mini blue denim skirt; swaying her hips from side to side with her arms rising slowly over her head. Vince imagined himself standing behind her as she danced. Sharni's raised arms would then gracefully fall around his neck with her head landing gently on his shoulder. Sharni would close her eyes and relax against his body as Vince leisurely slid both his arms around her dancing bare stomach. Oh yeah! How I wish this was real!

A faint sound of a female giggle entered Vince's ears.

Wow! That sounded so real!  Vince thought as he imagined Sharni giggle as she brought her face closer to his. Just keep giggling Sharni. I love it!

The same female giggle was heard again, but this time a male laugh came along with it.

In a split second, Vince was brought back to reality. He opened his eyes and straight black his eyebrows scrunched together as a realisation hit him. Those laughs he just heard were very much real! For one thing, that male giggle was not his.

The laughs were heard again. This time they were louder. They were coming from outside. Curiously, Vince ran to the window and looked down. There sitting on one of the two wooden benches surrounded by bits of greenery, was his worst nightmare!

Steven sat on the bench with his back leaning on one of the arms of the bench. His legs were crossed one on top of the other as they rested on the other arm. The buttons of his yellow shirt were halfway unfastened and the sleeves were rolled up just above his elbows. He had Sharni lying beside him with her head resting on his shoulder.

For the first time Sharni felt protected, even when Steven playfully followed the rim of her belly button with his finger. His touch was as soft and gentle like a sheet of cotton cascading on her smooth skin. His touch made the fear of being taken as an advantage long gone. He was like her knight in shining armor. No one could touch her as long as Steven was there!

They were both enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun. The breeze in the fresh air pleasantly brushed on their bare skin, cooling off all the heat from their body as well as their minds. It was a beautiful way to lift off all the tension that the day of lessons gave them.

"It's so wonderful." Sharni said, ecstatically. "Now I know what a romantic moment feels like!"

Steven laughed again. "Yeah, me too."

Sharni swiftly swung her legs round and sat up, moving his hands away. She looked at Steven with curious big brown eyes.

Steven looked at her confused. "What is it?"

"You too?!" Sharni asked with query. "You mean to tell me you never had a romantic moment before?"

Steven smiled as he too swung his legs round and sat up. "Of course!"

"What happened to Hazel?" Sharni asked with a hint of disbelief.

The smile on Steven's face drifted away as he looked away. "Oh, she and I broke up in the Summer Vacation."

"Why?"

"Well, er..." Steven started to explain.

Sharni looked at him as he continued.

"Things weren't really working out for us."

Sharni turned away. She started to question why things did not go well between Steven and Hazel. They seemed inseparable in school. What could possibly break them up?

Steven could tell Sharni thinking something. So he hesitated no longer and took a deep breath.

"Since the day you slapped me." He said in a low voice.

Sharni turned her head to face him again. Suddenly she felt guilt stuck in her throat.

"I couldn't get you off my mind. Then it came to a point Hazel couldn't take it anymore and so she left me to my misery."

"That's awful." Sharni placed her hand on his arm. She could see tears welling up in Steven's small brown eyes and she could feel her own as well. He must be heartbroken by her decision. That Hazel bitch broke mine knowing that I had feelings for him, and now I find that she broke his? What does she want?

Sharni managed to sniff and wipe her tears and tried turning the sad moment and back to a happy.

"At least the girl who slapped you is by your side." She said.

Steven turned to look at Sharni again and the smile was put back on his handsome face as he wiped away his tears.

"Thanks Sharni." He said as he cupped Sharni's face between his hands. "I promise you, I will never leave your side no matter what."

The sweetness of Steven's voice made Sharni smile with hope that everything from now on will get better. She closed her eyes as Steven brought himself closer to her. She felt his lips brush against hers and in no time, the couple's lips were locked together in a long passionate kiss.

Vince's green eyes turned greener as he watched the scene of the happy couple unfold in front of him. He turned away and sat on the edge of his bed. Brushing his bangs back with his fingers, he tried calming himself down.

"If waiting means for me to endure every minute of seeing them together, then I need to keep myself occupied." Vince said with a low and malevolence tone to his voice. He let out big sigh and tutted sarcastically as he held Sharni's poncho back in front of him. "Poor Sharni, you just don't know how much heartbroken you will be. Just give it a week or so, and then see whose arms you fall into."

With that thought fixed in his mind, Vince chuckled loudly as he lay on his bed threw the poncho up high and watch it land on his face.