03

My forehead creased in confusion when Sebastian’s Bentley entered the gates of the state university. Why would he bring me here? I thought we’re going to have lunch.

I looked around the place. The campus was so different from what I was used to. I studied in a private women’s university ordered by nuns. Here, students run the place. From my viewpoint, it looked rather chaotic.

But that was just me. After all, this was Sebastian’s alma mater. This was where he got both his Bachelor’s and Master’s degree. I’m sure, someone as prim and proper as him wouldn’t last even a year if this place was actually chaotic.

He parked his car in front of a two-storey building. Its exterior didn’t look like the others we had passed. I was busy observing when the door beside me opened. I was surprised to see Sebastian. I didn’t notice him going out of the car.

He helped me get out and closed the door after me. We walked to the entrance together. Oh, it’s the university cafeteria.

“I hope you don’t mind, I didn’t bring you to fine dining. I’m assuming that’s already what my brother does, so I brought you somewhere… different.” Wow! Wasn’t that Sebastian’s longest line ever?

“Different is n-nice.” I wasn’t disappointed; I was just surprised.

We sat down as soon as we found an empty table. It was a challenge since it’s almost noon and everyone’s having lunch.

“Their kare-kare’s really good, Mischa. You should try it.” He was grinning like a child. I’m not a fan of kare-kare, but how can I say ‘no’ when he’s like that?

“Okay.” I smiled back. “I have faith in your taste.” We shared a good laugh before he headed to the counter.

I checked my phone while waiting for Sebastian and our food. I had a few emails and texts, but all were work-related. Storm hasn’t contacted me since last night. I started typing a message for him, but decided against sending it. Maybe, he was just busy practicing. I didn’t want to come off as clingy so I’d just text him if I wouldn’t hear from him by tonight.

As I slipped my phone back to my purse, Sebastian arrived, holding a tray. I helped him place the food on the table.

The kare-kare looked decent. Since I was already famished, I just put some of the orange sauce on my rice, sliced some meat, and ate. Well, it tasted… okay. It didn’t taste bad, but I couldn’t say it was delicious.

I looked at Sebastian when he chuckled. “How was it, Mischa?”

I faked a smile. “It’s good.”

He chuckled once more. “You should put some bagoong.” I frowned upon hearing ‘bagoong’. I had no idea how it tastes, but it smells so awful.

“Should I?” I was haggling, okay? I didn’t like the idea of eating such foul-smelling thing.

“You should.” Sebastian left me with no choice. He put some bagoong on my rice.

I told him I wasn’t picky, so I had to stay true to my words. I hesitantly spooned some rice and meat, and tried eating it. Sebastian was right. I really had to eat kare-kare with the damn bagoong so it would taste better.

“Now, how was it?” His eyes were twinkling as he waited for me to answer.

This time, I didn’t need to fake my smile. “So much better,” I replied, smiling genuinely. “Thanks, Sebastian.”

His smile faded away. Did I say something wrong? “For what?” He looked confused.

For being such a nice guy. You’re even nicer than my boyfriend, to be honest. I just shook my head and smiled. “This is your treat, right?”