02

I knocked on the door twice. “Come in,” he replied in an instant.

I did as I was told. I took in his appearance as I entered his office. His brows were furrowed in concentration. His eyes were trained on the screen as he typed on his laptop. I’d guess that it’s his paper for the national conference that he’s working on.

“Hi, Sir,” I greeted him with a huge grin. I couldn’t keep my excitement to myself; I just felt so accomplished today.

He looked up to meet my gaze. He tried to smile in return but failed. I noticed the dark circles around his eyes. He looked so haggard, like he hadn’t slept in days. It couldn’t be just work that’s doing this to him, right?

“Oh, Mischa. What brought you here?” He glanced at his wristwatch. “It’s only 11. Shouldn’t you be working on the microbial cultures?”

“Yes, I should be. But I’m already done with it.” I clapped my hands. Realizing the consequence of my efficiency, I frowned. “Now I’ve nothing to do for the rest of the day.” At times like this, I should say, it sucks to be me.

“Well, aren’t you a fast worker?” he said teasingly, but his expression clearly showed that he was impressed. “I’m really glad you joined our team, Mischa.” He smiled. This time, the glow reached his eyes.

“Are you kidding me, sir?! Everyone would want to be under the Sebastian Peralta’s guidance. You’re like the most sought after biology mentor in the country!”

He chuckled heartily. “How many times do I have to tell you, Mischa? You’re almost my sister, so stop calling me ‘sir’.”

I raised my brow. “How should I call my boss then?”

“I’m not your boss, Mischa. We’re a team, so just call me Sebastian.” How can this young genius be so humble? He had every right to brag!

“But that’s not how others call—”

“You’re different, Mischa,” he said, cutting me off. Words left me, and all I could do was smile.

“Why don’t we have lunch? My treat.” I nodded in agreement.

He stood up and walked toward me. I suddenly remembered the young Sebastian. Back then, I didn’t think we would grow close, or at least be in talking terms. He was just too introverted. We were too different.

As soon as I learned that Daddy will be playing golf with Mr. Peralta and his boys, I asked him if I could tag along. He instantly agreed because when it comes to Daddy, only one rule applies: what Mischa wants, Mischa gets.

I couldn’t sleep the night before that meeting. Finally, Storm and I would be seeing each other outside school. Maybe, this was the chance I was waiting to have. Maybe, this would make him see me in a different light.

Imagine how my face fell when I saw Mr. Peralta that morning, with only one guy trailing behind him. The guy had the same face as Storm, but he lacked the confidence of the one I love. He was too timid.

“Simeon,” Daddy called on Mr. Peralta, waving at him. “Good morning.”

“Good morning, Miguel,” Mr. Peralta greeted back. “I’m sorry, we’re late. How long have you been waiting?”

“Oh no! We just got here.” Daddy chuckled. “By the way, this is my only daughter, Mischa. Darling, this is my friend, Simeon Peralta.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Peralta.” I offered my hand and faked a smile. In my mind, I already wanted to leave this place. But of course, I wouldn’t act like a spoiled brat in front of Storm’s father.

“Same here, Mischa.” He shook my hand and beamed at me. “Drop the formalities, hija. Just call me Tito Simeon.”

I just nodded in response. I stole a quick glance at the guy whose voice I still hadn’t heard until now. Is he mute or something?

“By the way, this is my eldest son, Sebastian.” Tito Simeon patted his son’s shoulder. The guy, who was introduced as Sebastian, had his eyes locked to the ground. He didn’t make an effort to shake our hands or whatever. Okay, I get it. He didn’t like the setup. He’s not a people person. So what the hell is he doing here?

“I thought you’re bringing your two boys, Simeon.” Gee, thanks Daddy, for voicing out my concern.

“Oh, my youngest, Zachary, had to go to school for his soccer practice. But I told him to come here after.”

Tito Simeon’s reply brought my excitement back. I would be seeing Storm after all.

But then the day went on without a trace of him. All I had was two old men who kept on talking business and a guy who wouldn’t talk nor look at me. In my mind, I was already cursing Zachary Storm Peralta. If he was here, I wouldn’t be stuck in this stupid situation. Oh, and we’d be making progress in our relationship as well.

On our way to the parking lot, a familiar guy jogged toward us. “Sorry, dad.” My heart stopped beating at the sound of his voice. “Coach dismissed us late,” he explained while catching his breath. All the curses vanished into thin air. I couldn’t stay mad at this guy for too long. One sorry and my heart melts. How could I have this much love for someone?

Sebastian and I walked to the parking lot in silence. It was not the awkward kind; it was comfortable. His black Bentley came to my view. Compared to my boyfriend’s car, it looked modest. Yet, it was more sophisticated. Their respective cars could actually speak for the guys’ personalities.

The car alarm beeped as I walked to the right side of the car. Sebastian opened the door for me and my heart fluttered at that simple gesture. Such a gorgeous gentleman. As soon as I was settled on the passenger seat, I looked up at him and thanked him, smiling. He smiled back before closing the door.

“What’s your type of food?” he asked while revving the engine.

“Well, I’m not picky and I’m a foodie… but I’d say French is my favorite.” My stomach grumbled, so we both laughed.

“A foodie, really?” He looked at me for a second, with wide, skeptical eyes. “You don’t look like one, Mischa! You’re skinny!” He laughed once again. It’s the first time I’d seen Sebastian in this state – smiling and laughing and so merry. His brightness was contagious; I couldn’t help but smile too.

“Wow, that was such an unscientific comment,” he mumbled. I burst into fits of giggle. We both know that my metabolism, not my appetite, was the one to blame for my slim figure. I almost overlooked that one because I was busy enjoying the absence of reserved and uptight Mr. Peralta. It’s not everyday that I see a jolly Sebastian, so I’m making the most of it.

When our laughter died down, he spoke again. “But really, you’re skinny and it sorta looks unhealthy.” His voice was laced with concern. I suppressed another laugh. He sounded like my doctor.

“But really, I’m not skinny and I’m perfectly healthy.” I mimicked his tone. Then I remembered Evangeline, his long-term girlfriend who lacks even more weight than me. “Your girlfriend is way thinner than I am!”

I squealed when he hit the brakes without warning. He suddenly made a U-turn. “What was that?” I held onto my chest, as if to check if my heart’s still there.

“I think I m-missed the resto.” He seemed flustered. He was hiding something and even though I was dying to know what it was, I couldn’t ask. I just couldn’t because I didn’t have the right to poke my nose into his business. Sebastian and I – we’re not exactly the best of friends. He’s just my workmate, who also happens to be the brother of my boyfriend.

© Cyan