Filling Empty Spaces

Start from the beginning

The windows are down with Foster the People blasting out of the speakers as the roar of the engine loudly overpowers the tunnel. I feel the wind blowing through my hair like a rush from riding on a rollercoaster.

Mr. Hale has a genuine smile on his face that stretches to both cheeks. It's warming. The first time that we have actually spent time together that wasn't at a restaurant, the office, or a raunchy club. This was a beautiful moment. He switches from lane to lane dodging the upcoming cars by just a few feet. The adrenaline rush he gave me was the reason I loved him. He made me feel alive.

The roaring of his car sent thrills running up my thighs. The tingling turning into partial excitement and then into pleasure. I flush trying to make sure I don't alert Mr. Hale, but my attempts surely might fail me. I fumble around with my leggings, pinching my legs together. When I feel the vibration of the car come to the end my hasten breathing slows.

We zip down the highway faster than the speed limit just enough for a cop car to notice. The sirens sound like an alarm in which makes me nervous. Mr. Hale is calm through the sirens and flashing lights which makes me look puzzled. "We are definitely getting a ticket," I state the obvious.

"I highly doubt that."

Mr. Hale pulls over to the side of the curb. He slowly rolls down his window just as calm and collected. The cop strolls over to Mr. Hale's side of the car. "Sir, were you aware that you were going past the sp—" his voice trails into nothing.

The cop who looks to be in his late forties doesn't take off his shades but proceeds to state.

"Mr. Hale, I wasn't aware that you would be driving your vehicle today. Usually, Bernard always does the maintenance on her," he explains with an apologetic tone.

Mr. Hale nods to him reassuring that he wouldn't speed anymore, but the cop is so far wrapped around his finger that he even goes as far as to want to schedule a golfing game. Golf? Mr. Hale. I'm dating an extortionist.

"You have a nice day, Mr. Hale," the cops waves returning to his vehicle.

We sit there watching the police cruiser merge into the lane driving down the highway. "I'm confused," I state pursing my lips together.

"It was a simple misunderstanding. Charlie has been on the force for decades and a member of the club for a few years."

It finally is put into perspective that everyone who had been in business with Mr. Hale was all connected by a bigger association. "You aren't still a member of that club are you?" I probably shouldn't have asked, but I was curious.

Mr. Hale focuses on the road as if intentionally not wanting to make eye contact. I know the answer wasn't going to be what I hoped. "I will always be a member of the club. We are tied to the club by a contract. You will not understand why I am, but I need you to understand that this is a part of my life," he's assertive which makes me gulp down whatever feelings I had to focus on what was right now.

"I understand," I whisper. "Does that mean you will be with other women?"

He turns to me his brows furrowed. "I have no intention of being with any other woman beside you." I hear the sincerity in his voice. I feel like I'm going to get all emotional.

"Take me somewhere... sir," I plant a wet kiss on his cheek running my hands along his pants.

The thought of his loyalty to our newly former relationship made my stomach feel bubbly in a positive way. Mr. Hale turns up the radio still blasting the Houdini song. I chime into the melody of the song as it's about to go off. We merge into the oncoming traffic with the tires screeching against the asphalt. It only takes a few seconds before we are zipping through traffic once more.