Chapter 2

It was a Friday evening, and the late fall weather was hitting us pretty hard. Here in New York, it's always a little colder since we're up north. Fall is my favorite season. I like the way the colors shine on the trees in the morning and in the afternoon. It makes the trees look full of life. And there's a hint of gold on the tree if you caught the sunset at just the right moment. Luckily for me, my walk home from school starts at the perfect time to see it.

"Jessie? Jess where are you?" a familiar voice called out. I knew instantly it was Justin.

"I'm over here!" I yelled back.

"Oh, there you are." He ran his fingers through his hair and smiled.

"What's up?" I asked.

He stuck in hands in his pockets, I could tell he looked nervous. "There's a party tonight and I was wondering if you would go with me?"

I laughed, "Hah forget it! I have an essay for Mr. Dime, and it's a 100-point grade. You should be doing it tonight as well Mr. Donner. Besides, you know parties aren't really my thing."

"Oh, come on Jess, it's the weekend, we have Saturday and Sunday to do the stupid essay. I really need a date to this party, at least, until I find a someone there that I like. Then you can go or you could hang out and try to find a guy who will maybe like you." He joked. But it felt like a slap in the face.

"Justin, I told you I can't and you're never going to get into your dream college if you act this way about 'stupid essays'. They won't even consider your application." I snapped mocking him.

"My grades will be more than enough for Yale by the time I have to send in applications. In fact, they will be begging me to go there." He is so smug it is annoying. I roll my eyes at him.

"Please Jess?" he begs further giving me his puppy dog eyes. Who could say no to his gorgeous blue eyes? It was hard for anyone to refuse them, even me.

I let him sweat for a bit but eventually I bit my lip and cave. "Ugh! Fine, pick me up at 8."

"Yes! You're the best, thanks Jessie!" he kissed me on my cheek and ran inside to his house.

"Yeah, Yeah!" I roll my eyes and sigh. I guess I'd better go get ready.

I checked my watch it was already 7:20PM. I walk back inside and run up the stairs to my closet. I quickly find something to wear. I pick out some faded blue jeans with a hole in the knee. I pair it with a stripped polo tee that is way too big for my petite figure. Basically, I was 'showing any guy that I was clearly not interested', as Katie would put it.

Katie is my other best friend. She is the one I turn to with all my other issues that I can't talk about with Justin. She and I have a lot in common, but she cares way more about style, fashion and what people think than I do. I have always been more into books and she has always been into looks and pop culture.

Katie and I met when we were in the 5th grade. The kids at our grade school used to bully her. They would always knock her down on the playground and call her names. I saw this happen one day and I offered her my hand to help her up. Then we became instant friends. We started hanging out all the time. We had movie marathons and sleepovers almost every weekend. We would stay up late on the phone to talk about all the boys we thought were the cutest and the rest is history.

I search my closet for some worn out converse and throw them on. I look in the mirror and realize I have not done my hair. I quickly twist it and throw it back into a big clip. I look down at my watch- 7:54. I walk down the stairs; grab a book just in case, and my hoodie. I hear a honk from outside. That is Justin's so polite way of saying he is here.