Chapter 7

A week has gone by. Jessie and I haven't really talked much. Which is strange because we usually talk every day. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I am falling for her and I can't be with her. Now if I see her outside it's just the casual wave to each other. I have been trying to distract myself by going on several dates. I haven't been having any luck with that but hopefully the date I have tonight will help. It's with her friend Katie. I figured I'd give her another chance since we seemed to hit it off again at the movies. Even if I did just do it to make Jessie jealous. She is still a terrible kisser but she's the closest I can get to being with Jessie. They can't all kiss me like Jess did. And Katie isn't completely annoying. I don't think Jessie will mind though since she doesn't have any feelings for me and she knows Katie and I have gone out before. My mom walks into the kitchen interrupting my thoughts.

"Hey mom, have you by any chance been over to the James' house lately?" I ask indifferently.

"Honey, why don't you just go over there and see her? Honestly Justin I don't know why you can't just tell her how you really feel. I can read you like a magazine and I know you love her." My mother always cuts to the chase. It is a trait I admire of hers.

"A book ma, read me like a book." I scoff correcting her.

"Honey when have you ever seen me read a book?" she replies and we laugh. "Go talk to her. She's had some guy over there the past couple days. What was his name uh-Dan? No, Dean? Dean! His name was Dean. Ever since the dance they've been talking her mother said. They're getting pretty close. You may have some competition. You need to get over there."

"Dean? Of course. Ma, she's had a crush on him since like 3rd grade. I can't compete with that Ma." My face is forlorn. My mother comes to me and lifts my head.

"You have known her since birth. If the competition is who's known her the longest-- you win. If it is who has liked her the longest? You win. What have I always taught you?" she asks.

"You can't lose if you don't compete." I roll my eyes because I know she is right.

"Exactly, now go out win her heart!" she motions her hands to their house.

Without another thought, I jump up and run over to her house. My mom is right. I have the upper hand. I knock on the door and her mom answers.

"Hey Mrs. Steph is Jess home?"

"Hey sweetie, no you just missed her she just left with a friend."

"Let me guess, was it a guy named Dean?" I ask, knowing the answer.

"Yep." she nods.

"Do you like him?" I inquire.

"Your mother and I had planned your wedding already. How are we supposed to have it if the bride and the groom aren't together? I mean I already know your family would pay half. Plus, our grandchildren would be beautiful."

I giggle, "Good point, where did they go?"

"Starbucks, I think." She rolled her eyes.

"Do you know when will she be back?"

"I believe she said tonight around 8. Try and come back then. She misses you ya know? You're her guy."

"I miss her too. She's my girl." I can feel my face turning red. I smile at the thought of her being mine.

I find things to do around the house until 8 o'clock. I feel pathetic waiting for her. This is not like me at all. She is making me someone I don't recognize but I welcome him.

Finally, it's ten past eight and I see headlights in her driveway. I look through the window and see him open the car door to let her out. She gets out and he kisses her. Then I can hear them mumbling but I can't make out what they're saying. He quickly goes back to his car and drives away. She is still in the driveway this is my chance.