Chapter 20: Speaking Sweetly

Start from the beginning

"I used the key under the mat," he said. Of course, he did.

"Breaking and entering," I joked.

"Nah, 'cause no breaking was done," he defended. "I even brought a gift." He held out a container of powdered Koolaid. Every time he came over, he complained that all we had to drink was water and how boring water was. This resulted in me having to buy Gatorade and fruit punch for him which seemed to make him happy.

"We don't even drink Koolaid," I told him. "That's for you."

"Think of it as a gift from me to you for me," he said and I laughed as I shook my head. He took a pitcher out from under the sink and started making 'his gift'. "We're hanging out today, watching moves, eating snacks."

"Sounds good, I'll start," Zach said and left the kitchen. I peeked out of the kitchen and into the living room to see Zach laying on the couch, falling asleep.

"He fallin' asleep, ain't he?" James asked and I shook my head, not wanting to snitch on Zach. I went into the living room and laid down on the other side of the couch. I started falling asleep and it felt so relaxing. "GUYS!" I jumped up and it reminded me of being woken up on a school day after my parents had just woken me up and told me that I'd better not go back to sleep or I'd get in trouble. Zach glared at James as his left eye twitched.

"You're a dead man," Zach growled, pouncing towards James. James moved in the last second, making Zach stagger in his steps. Zach steadied himself before he could fall. "We're not friends!" James started laughing at how Zach was acting.

"Some pizza?" James asked and Zach stood straight, no longer in his offensive stance.

"You got some already?" Zach asked, ready to fight if James didn't.

"Nah, but we can get some at the store," James said and I laughed as Zach's left eye twitched again. James looked at me, so I signed to him.

"You're pushing him too far," I told James.

"Awe but that's when he at his funnest. When he gets all riled up," James laughed and Zach's shoulders slumped in tiredness. The sun shined through the window, hitting Zach in the eyes, and he groaned while moving behind the wall "Nah, but for real, we can go get some pizza."

"It's six in the morning," Zach groaned with an added stomp to the ground.

"Then we wait for a lil'. No biggie," James shrugged.

"Then I'm going back to sleep. If you come into my room, I'll shoot you," Zach said. He stomped off to his room and slammed the door shut.

"Damn, it really be ya own blood!" James shouted over his shoulder towards Zach's room but not going in.

"It'll be a headshot, so yo big ass mouth shuts up," Zach shouted from his room and James laughed.

"Let's watch the walking dead," I told him and he smiled. I brought my blanket from my room and laid on the couch. I snuggled more into my blanket and smiled as the sleepiness came back.

"You gon' fall asleep," he complained. I opened my eyes and watched the intro. I shook my head, disagreeing with what he was saying. I was too sleepy to sign. "Yes, are you. You won't even sign. You gon' fall asleep. Watch." And that's exactly what I did.

*~*

"Maaaaeeee," I heard James' voice drag. "I'm hungrryyyyy." My back was starting to ache from the awkward position I was in, so I sat up and my head began to hurt, a pounding that went all around my head.

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked.

"Three days!" He raised his voice and fell back on the couch dramatically. I threw my pillow at him and got my phone from my pocket. I slept for three hours. "I'm hungry."