“And I don’t like waiting. Let’s go,” I said, getting up and forcing him to come with me.

                I dragged Mitch out to the kitchen with me and we sat at the counter. My mom was in there scanning over the newspaper and sipping coffee.

                “Good morning boys,” mom said.

                “The ‘good’ is debatable,” Mitch grumbled.

                “Oh, oops, I forgot Mitch isn’t a morning person,” mom said. She hurriedly fixed a cup of coffee and gave it to Mitch.

                “Thanks,” he said, drinking some.

                “You’re always so grumpy in the morning,” I said, watching him.

                “Yea, well, waking up isn’t really my thing,” he said, setting the cup of coffee down.

                “Mom, I’m hungry and I don’t want to burn down the house,” I said.

                “I’ll just put bagels in for you two,” mom said, going over and grabbing the bagels.

                “Thank you,” I said, folding my arms over the counter and resting my chin on them. Mitch rubbed at his eyes, looking tired. I felt a little guilty for waking him up, but forced it away.

                “Do you mind if we go to Rio’s house after we eat? I want to get the money he owes me. We can go to the smoothie place,” Mitch said.

                “Yea, sure,” I said with a shrug.

                Mom slid us the bagels when they were done. We ate them hungrily before going into my room and changing. I lent Mitch clothes, and we fixed our hair and brushed our teeth before leaving the house.

                I drove us down to Rio’s house and we got out. Mitch led me to the front door and rang the doorbell.

                Mrs. Snyder pulled the door open and offered us a smile. “Hi boys. Rio is in his bedroom. I think he might be sleeping. You can just wake him up,” she said, letting us in.

                “Thanks Mrs. Snyder,” Mitch said. He led me through the kitchen and out to the living room.

                I glanced at Rio’s dad and some other guy before stopping and doing a double take. There was no doubt that the guy on the couch with Rio’s dad was Rio’s brother.

                He was dangerously skinny, his hair messy. His skin was broken out, and he had a faraway look in his eyes as they trained on the TV. He was wearing a long sleeved shirt despite the heat.

                “Hi boys,” Mr. Snyder greeted.

                “Hey Mr. Snyder. Hi Hank,” Mitch said.

                Hank looked up slowly and nodded at Mitch. Mitch grabbed my hand and pulled me down the hallway towards Rio’s room.

                “Rio told me his brother was in rehab,” I said, keeping my voice low.

                “He was in rehab for a while. I guess he’s home,” Mitch said with a shrug. “I knew him a little before he went back there.”