Chapter 30: Reason

-Lucas' Point of View-

He was my friend. He was there when no one else was.

There's no reason for him to get killed.

Nanlaki ang mata ko. Maybe..

"Maybe it's because of me..?" Tumingin ako nang diretso sa mata nito. The atmosphere suddenly changed.

"What a fool." Sambit nito bago sumugod sa akin. Umilag ako and managed to make a scratch on her cheek.

Napaluhod ito. To be honest, it's amazing that she can still fight after all that happened. She must be feeling weak now.

But somehow she still managed to stand. Tumakbo ito palapit sa akin hawak ang isang kutsilyo.

Hinawakan ko ang braso nito at isinandal sa puno. Now, she's cornered. Nakahawak lang ako sa braso nito at nakatingin nang diretso sa mata niya.

"Tell me.." Tumungo ito at pilit nagpumiglas. Siguro sa mga oras na ito, kaya na lang niyang gamitin ang lakas niya nang isang beses.

"Talk." Sambit ko nang hindi pa rin gumagalaw sa posisyon namin.

"The letter.." What is she saying? What letter? "The one I sent to Jace before he got killed." She's there?

"So that explains the feeling that we're being watched." I will never forget that day. The day I saw his last smile and heard his last joke one last time.

Lahat naman may hangganan.

"I figured that Logan will soon kill him so I warned him and told him to run away.. but sadly he didn't.." That stubborn guy..

Memories started flashing back and forth. This is it now, the truth I've been wanting since the very beginning.

"It was too late.." Yes it was.. "I hesitated. I just stood there watching him get killed. I didn't do anything."

Regrets, huh?

"I was the one..who killed his parents.." Nanlaki ang mata ko. "I didn't mean it, I mean I didn't know. I've been-" I hit her. Forget that guys doesn't hurt ladies.

My fist left a red mark on her cheek.

All this time?! Siya yung babaeng matagal nang hinahanap ni Jace? This lady in front of me is the mystery that's now been told?!

"Y-you see.." She started crying. "I was the first one, the first chosen one." What? Luke never told us about this.

"Before Jasmine, I was there, by his side." She mean by Luke's side? They were.. together..?

What is she saying?

"I left him, because I have Jace. But then I found out that those I killed before were his parents. Logan has been using me as his puppet." I didn't know that she's been this stupid but I wouldn't say she's weak.

Nakakabilib na nakaya niyang kimkimin ang lahat, up to this point. She's strong but a little foolish and reckless.

"Jace never told me about you." Iniwasan ko ang tingin nito. "I figured." I heard her grin.

"It was too late when I found out that he knew everything. I never knew he's in contact with Logan that time, and he's also been threatened. I was a coward back then.." Then she forced a smile.

I wonder what was left for her now.

"But.." Hinawakan nito ang isang kutsilyo at tumungo. "I have no choice right?!" Tumingin ito sa akin at itinulak ako. "I can't do anything! I will never be free again! I'm tied with his strings!" Sigaw nito bago ito takpan ng makapal na hamog.

That's it. That's her limit.

Nang muli itong lumitaw ay hawak nito ang ama ni Jasmine. Wait, I didn't notice he's been missing this whole time!

Lumingon ako kina Jasmine na mukhang ngayon lang din nalaman ang nangyari.

So this is her plan. No wonder it doesn't bother her even if she's already at her limit. She's planning to take Arthur as a hostage and threaten not only me but all of us.

She's indeed a coward.

"Let go of him!" Sambit ko bago mabilis na sumugod sa kanya. She shouldn't be able to move that fast anymore.

Inilabas ko ang kutsilyo ngunit nagulat ako nang ihagis niya papunta sa akin si Arthur. I used my hand to stop us from flying.

"A-ahh.." Napalingon ako kay Samantha. May kutsilyong nakatusok sa tiyan nito pamula sa likod niya.

Ilang segundo rin bago ko mapagtanto kung sinong nasa likod ng pangyayari. "L-logan?" He smirked. "You're talking too much." He said before disappearing. Pinilit kong habulin ito ngunit tuluyan na itong nawala sa paningin ko.

Hindi ko alam pero lumapit ako kay Samantha. This is it, Jace. The revenge I've been seeking for you.

"I loved h-him.." Umubo ito ng dugo. "No matter how hard I try, I still can't escape Logan. I told him everything and he only smiled.." Tears started flowing down her face. "It's sad that I o-only showed him my b-bad side.. I didn't k-knew I've been a burden to h-him.." Pinipilit pa rin nitong magsalita kahit na hirap na hirap na ito.

Siguro nga, naging makasarili siya. Pero kung ako si Jace, mapapatawad ko pa ba siya?

I smiled.

"If he was here, he'd said 'Were those tears a new trend today? If so, they don't suit you.' " She smiled when he heard my joke. Nagulat ako sa biglang pagngiti nito. Not one of those smiles he showed us, this is..

her real smile..

"Thank you.." Then she slowly closed her eyes. And before I knew it, I was shedding tears too.

Para bang nawala ang tinik sa dibdib ko. The burden I've been bearing is now gone. Hindi ko magawang magalit sa kanya at hindi ko rin siya magawang masisi. She held on for too long. It's time for her to rest.

I should be the one thanking her.

Everything happens for a reason but today it felt like I knew the reason.

For Samantha, Jace died to find her true peace and be happy even if things aren't right.

For me, he died to teach me something valuable. To teach me that when someone left me, it's not always a loss, but a lesson.

Binuhat ko si Samantha at lumapit kina Luke. Let's make her a grave.

Nakatingin lang silang lahat sa akin. Probably because it's their first time seeing me like this.

Tumango silang lahat at isinama ko nang ibaon ang lahat ng galit at lungkot dahil sa pagkawala ni Jace. "Jace, you're an amazing person." It's like you know this is going to happen.

Wait, is there a possibility that you could see the future?

I smiled. Nahahawahan na ako ng mga jokes niya.

"You're an amazing one, too." Bulong ni Jasmine na katabi ko lang. Tears welled up from her eyes. "And you're a strong one."

I guess no matter how things could turn out, in the end there's always a good reason for it.

Pasimple kong tiningnan ang itim na glove na kinuha ko kay Samantha bago namin ito ilibing.

I looked up in the sky. Jace, Samantha, I know you're both happy now.

So in the end, it wasn't her who killed him. It was always Logan. Napakuyom ako ng kamao.

Lumapit ako kay Luke at bumulong. "When this is over, tell me everything about you and her."

~~~