Five: Storm Number Six Knew the Vic

ابدأ من البداية

I throw the letter on the ground before scrambling over to a box and fumbling to open it before there's a sour, acrid taste in my mouth and what I had for breakfast is staring up at me. My vision blurs and then there are hot tears streaming down my face and my stomach clenches as it tries to push more food out but it's already empty and I can't breathe.

"Damn it, Matt." I hear someone curse from behind me before there's a hand on my back, rubbing in circles. "Let it out, Matt, just let it out." He says, voice quieter now.

"It's... Tony... Adam..." I manage to choke out, squeezing my eyes shut and trying to block out the image of Tony's body.

"I know, Matt, I know." Adam says. "Think you're good?" he asks and I nod slowly, straightening up. I keep my hands on the edges of the box for balance and just take a moment to breathe before I turn to face Adam. He hands me a handkerchief and I wipe my mouth with it.

"I'm sorry," I look away. "I compromised the crime scene."

"Matt, look at me." Adam says and I slowly look back at him. "You did nothing wrong. It's my fault that I didn't go in first; you were just doing the right thing." He says firmly.

I remember that he and Mr. Fisher were talking earlier and a brief flash of anger runs through me. Was talking more important than paying attention to me when I was creeped on by a good-looking, yet probably psycho, redhead?

I close my eyes. "Where are the others?" I ask.

"Metro's taken pictures of the scene and they're going to send them over later, but they didn't check out the perimeter so that's what June and Derek are doing. Nick and Akane left already." Adam explains.

I remember the letter and see it lying a few feet away from the body. I point to it. "He left a letter... You need to read it."

Adam stays for a few moments, just looking at me, before nodding and going over to the letter. He pulls out a glove and uses it to pick up the letter and he reads over it. His expression hardens and he pulls out a Ziploc and puts it in. He doesn't look up as he speaks as he writes the necessary details on the bag.

"Matt, I want you to go see Allison. She's next of kin and needs to be notified." He says.

I blink, not expecting that. "What?" I take a moment to process the order and feel sick. "No, Adam, I can't..." I look over at Tony's body but quickly look back at Adam before I start hurling again. "Adam, please, I can't..."

"Matt, if it was Chad or Dylan?" Adam interrupts, and I stay quiet. That was low, but I can't argue now because I know the answer.

"How am I going to―" I start, but Adam throws the car keys and a chocolate bar at me, motioning to the door. For him to give me chocolate...he really does feel bad about letting me go in alone. Not one to waste Adam's chocolate, I tear it open and take a sullen bite from it. It tastes generic and way too sweet in the way that my teeth tingle as I chew. It makes something in my chest ache, and I suck in my lower lip in an effort not to cry again.

"I already used the Summon My Ride app; another car is on its way here so we'll be okay." Adam says. I nod and pass by him on my way to the door, tears threatening to fall already. He stops me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Drive safe, Blondie," he orders.

I let out a weak, watery laugh as I try to eat another bite. "My driving's better than yours."

...

On my ride back to the Academy, it starts to rain, so I decide to stop for a bit. Right now, the nearest place is the abandoned gummy bear factory. It looks like most abandoned factories, complete with tattered and dirty gummy bear advertisements peeling off the walls of the building or littered on the ground. This place is what inspired Captain Gummy Bear when it had been up and running years ago.