Chapter 5 | Ugly Wings

ابدأ من البداية

Shifting in reaction to the panicked voice right next to her ear, she lifted her head to be met with flushed cheeks on the face of the boy that’s occupied her entire mind for the past day. “...Jimin?” Through tired and glazed eyes, she recognized him and smiled softly. “Jimin, you look so much better.” In one motion, she moved to place her forehead on his. He wasn’t hot. A bit cold perhaps from being outside. But his condition wasn’t like that night and that realization made Yumi unconsciously sigh in relief. “I’m so glad…”

On the other hand, Jimin had stiffened at her action. They were so close that their lips were just inches away which caused him to blush up to his ears. His hands were twitching at his side, not knowing what to do.

"Y-Yumi." Jimin was so flustered being held so tightly like this by a girl.

“Jimin, it’s okay…” Yumi murmured softly, resting her head on his shoulder, as her eyes closed unwittingly. “I will protect you...so that you won’t be hurt again…”

Jimin’s mouth hung open at her words. She may have mumbled them unknowingly in her sleep but it still struck him deeply.

Protect me...? I didn't even know Yumi that well but she wants to protect me?

Such sentiments usually made him happy when he heard that from fans but for some reason, when Yumi said it just then, he felt so lost he didn’t know how to react. So the two just hugged peacefully for a moment until Yumi’s consciousness returned in a snap. Something wasn’t right--

Flinching back, she flung her arms away from Jimin and sunk into the sofa, attempting to put as much distance from him as possible while her mind went into full overdrive.

What just happened?! I was dreaming of Jimin and now he’s right here in front-- Oh my god! What did I just do to him?!

“I-I’m so sorry, Jimin!” She quickly stood to bow deeply to him. “I’m sorry…! I wasn’t in my right mind and I know that’s no excuse but I really didn’t mean to--”

“Yumi, it’s alright.” Jimin’s words instantly silenced her. Hesitantly, she met his eyes and then such warmth waved over her from his soft smile. He wasn’t angry at all. “I’m sorry as well. I was just hoping to thank you for yesterday, but I didn’t mean to wake you up so um...abruptly when you were so tired.”

She shook her head, observing with fondness at his adorable blush. She didn’t know whether it was because of her that caused him to blush like that but she felt so delighted inside that it made her smile come out more casually. “Ah...I didn’t get enough sleep and about yesterday…” She pursed her lips, disliking Jimin’s collapsed image that just instinctively creeps into her mind at any mention of then. “I didn’t do much...of anything, really. Hoseok-sshi was the one that called Namjoon-sshi and Sejin-sshi to pick you up. Anyways, you are...really better now, right?”

Jimin smiled. “I am.” Jumping to his feet, he did exaggerated stretches to show how energetic he was despite it being early in the morning. “See? All better, I promise.”

Yumi chuckled at his cute movements but quickly got him to stop, afraid that his flying hands and legs were going to hit the counters in the small break room.

"Anyways, um...what's troubling you? If it would help, I’ll listen? Sometimes a...stranger is better to talk to.” Her words were intrusive and somewhat forceful but by her experience, she always felt better after releasing her stress through composing. “Is it the lyrics? Is the deadline set by Bang PD too difficult? I asked him not to stress anyone with this task but I can emphasize it to him--” Recognizing her mistake, she moved to cover her mouth but stopped as it would look too unnatural. She tried then to continue the conversation in a smooth manner. “I mean, at least how I heard from the...others. I can ask...my manager to extend the deadline.”