Chapter Twenty-One: I'm Interrogating Him, Duh

Start from the beginning

I looked back at them. "You guys won't know how it feels. You'll never know how it feels to be me. And I'm glad you're not bullied like me. The last thing I want is you guys, or anyone else to get bullied like me. To have to suffer what I went through. But you're popular, you're known, and you're left alone. I'm.... nothing, I'm a nobody, I'm that unpopular nerd everyone bullies." I turned away from them, looking at the ground.

"No, you're not," Declan said.

I looked up to them. "What are you talking about? Of course I am."

"No, you're not nothing, you're something." Declan said.

"No you're not a nobody, you're a somebody," Jordan said.

"And you're not any unpopular bullied nerd," Bennett said, "You're our nerd, you're our friend, and you’re our good girl."

"Or do we have to go over the contract again?" Jordan said with a grin.

I couldn't help but grin back at him.

"We know you want to be popular Naomi," Bennett told me. "And we're sorry we can't give you that. The only thing we want you to be is happy. And we understand why you want those girls as friends."

"We're guys, but that doesn't mean we're stupid. Wait does that make sense?" Jordan asked

"No, you're a guy, and only you're stupid," Declan ignored Jordan's glare and said, "What he meant to say is, we know we're guys. Sometimes it's weird for you to hang out with us, it's sometimes nice hanging out with your own kind-" He caught himself and smiled "-I mean girls like you. It sorta makes sense why you'd want to hang out with those girls."

"So if you really want to..." Bennett said. "We'll hang out with them a bit more. Just for you. We want to make you happy Naomi, and if this will do it, then I guess we have no choice but to-"

I cut him off once more by pulling him into a hug. "Thank you so much you guys, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He paled a bit, not really knowing what to do. The other guys weren't much help, laughing at Bennett's unconformity. But they're laughter was cut off short when I grabbed both of their collars and pulled them into a huge group hug. We finally let go, and burst out laughing.

But then I stopped. "You guys, I think Jordan really did have a point. Something feels... different."

All of us paused and looked around. A few seconds passed as our eyes scanned the halls. Then our eyes slowly widened in realization what was happening. I can't believe I haven't notice it until. I can't believe that after eleven years, I haven't notice it until. I can't believe any of this.

Everyone is leaving me alone.

Usually my day consists of the usual insults, nicknames, and jokes, followed by the trips, the kicks and punches. But today, today of all days, none of this has happened. All day I've been left alone. During my classes when the boys were forced to leave me since we had different classes, no one called me anything, no one sneaked me new bruises. Sure, people stared, they gave me weird looks, shy glances, a few glares, but no one touched me.

And when I headed towards the girls restroom, I had the guys wait for me at the next water fountain. No one tripped me, taped Kick Me signs on my back, or slammed me against the lockers. And in the restroom, I wasn't called names or told that I was in the wrong restroom. Everyone paused for a moment and stared at me. There were a few awkward glances, but no one said anything and went back to staring at themselves in the mirror.

"So it really wasn't me," Jordan said, then he looked at Declan and punched him. "See? I told you!"

"Shut up." Declan growled.