Chapter 8

I reached tiredly around the bed and frowned when I didn't feel him there, rubbing my eyes as I sat up. He was gone. A lot had happened last night, maybe he needed time to process everything, though that logic didn't dull the pangs of disappointment I felt. For the first time in many weeks I pulled the curtains open. The warm morning light flooded in; it was refreshing, I'd forgotten that.

I took a shower, scrubbing the smell of spilled drinks and cigarette smoke off my skin. I thought about whether him leaving was an opportunity, the one I'd been looking for last night. Before we're in too deep, we could just mutually agree everything that had happened between us so far was a mistake. My stomach clenched. I'd known it would be from the start, but he was so insistent. How could my defenses stand against such a pursuit? This wasn't my fault but now I had to suffer the consequences all the same. I huffed, threw my clothes with frustration into the laundry hamper and walked out of the bathroom.

It took a long moment for me to register that Stephen was standing by my bed holding a coffee tray and flowers. The sound I made was somewhere between a squeal and a screech, while I clambered to try and cover myself with my arms. I was supposed to have been home alone, so of course I hadn't bothered to wrap myself in a towel. Why would I?

He quickly turned away, "Oh shit, oh shit, I'm so sorry!"

I sprinted back to the bathroom and slammed the door, overturning the hamper to get my shirt. So much of me never wanted to leave that room again. I paced around, red faced, I'd imagined him seeing me naked plenty of times but at no point did it happen like that. There was a soft knock on the door and then his muffled voice.

"Lana, I'm sorry. I was trying to do something nice for you."

I leaned against the sink and rested my forehead on the mirror in front of me.

"I thought you'd left."

"No.. what? Really?"

"Well you were gone, I thought you needed some time or whatever." I tried to sound calm and even dismissive, but there was a tremble in my voice that I couldn't hide.

"Come out of there, please?"

That sweet begging tone hooked me. I opened the door and walked straight into him without looking. I was still very embarrassed. He wrapped me in a hug while I rested my head on his shoulder and played coyly with his jacket and tie.

"If it's any consolation, you're very sexy."

His honeyed voice melted over me, but with a compliment that made it even more difficult to look at him. I smirked, coiled his tie around my fist and tugged it firmly.

"You don't know that because a gentleman doesn't look." I whispered.

"You're the one who's assumed I'm a gentleman, Miss Woods."

Holy shit, that was sexy. Those words sent a wave of charged heat rushing down my body from head to tow, and I was aware of the change in atmosphere. The air now hung heavy around us, thick with desire. I let his tie slip smoothly from around my hand and went back to playing with his lapel. From where my head rested I could see him swallow nervously, his fingers rubbed in absent circles on my back. It seemed that neither of us could decide how to act on the current tension, or whether we should. He'd bought coffee, I kind of wanted coffee, but I also wanted him to do ungentlemanly things to me.

My fingers walked up his chest and touched his cheek, then my lips were on his neck. I sucked gently on the soft skin and grazed it with my teeth until I heard him sigh. The distinct hardness pressing into my leg told me he'd very much enjoyed it. I smiled and stepped back, playfully holding his tie then letting it fall through my hand as I walked away to grab one of the coffees.

He stood still, staring into space for a minute then slowly turned to look at me, his face a noticeable rouge. I'd crawled back into bed and was smiling innocently at him as he casually walked over, and with a steamy look, whipped the comforter off me. There was barely time for me to cover myself before he dragged me down the bed by my ankles and crawled between my legs.

I forgot to breathe when I felt his kisses inching up my inner thighs, one leg and then the other. I still had my shirt clasped in my fists and pulled tight in a vain attempt to hide myself from him.

"Show me." he sang quietly.

I felt his hot breath across my knuckles, and hesitantly let go of the shirt. My heart raced, the warmth of his touch on my thighs and waist drove me wild. He placed his lips on mine and sucked gently, the aching warmth spread across my pelvis and I sighed. My heavy breathing became a gasp when his tongue slipped between my lips. It was an instrument with which he seemed to have great deal of experience, and once he'd made me moan his name he stopped, much to my chagrin. He straddled my waist, looking smug and licking his lips.

"Mmm, I should wear this all day." He grinned then leaned down to kiss me as he stroked one of my flushed cheeks with his thumb. I whimpered when his tongue slid over mine and I could taste myself in his mouth. My hands searched for the buttons on his shirt and loosened his tie but he guided them away. After withdrawing from the kiss he rested his forehead on mine and regarded me for a moment, the smile slowly fading from his face , "I really do have to go now." he whispered sadly, "I have to take care of some things at home."

He climbed off me and I sat up to watch him gather the couple of items he'd brought with him. I knew why he had to go and that he couldn't stay here forever, but I still didn't want him to leave. I already missed him and he was right in front of me. He gave his pockets a final pat down to make sure he'd remembered everything.

"Alright, I'll see you on Monday?" A hopeful chime in his voice.

"Monday it is." I half smiled but was disappointed I wouldn't see him for the rest of the weekend. "Oh, I almost forgot.."

I went to my desk to grab a pen and a sticky note and quickly scrawled my mobile number out.

"Here." Shyly pressing the square of paper into his palm.

His expression brightened upon reading it. He nodded with a smile and pulled me into one more passionate kiss. I hugged my arms around him, holding on, savoring those last moments. Then I watched him leave. The sound of the door closing to my lonely apartment was a final reminder that he was gone. I felt the weight of longing begin to fill my chest.

The flowers he'd bought for me were beautiful; I busied myself arranging them in the discarded rum bottle, for lack of a better flower-holding device. I began to think again about whether continuing what ever we'd started was a good idea. Dealing with emotions was not one of my strengths. I had avoided all relationships for so long that I wasn't even sure how to do them. He was so wonderful and I felt like a fraud, as though I'd tricked him into thinking I was a good person, and that was the only reason he'd pursued me. I was afraid he'd discover the truth and of all the pain that would follow.