Dominic Koch

Mr Koch entered the room. Ben cringed and looked down. The woman scurried away, leaving them alone. Ben kept his eyes down, he wasn't going to look at Mr Koch. Teddy's head was pressed against his knee reassuringly. Teddy watched the man, named Mr Koch walk forward.

"Hello Ben." Mr Koch greeted.
"Hi Mr Koch." Ben answered softly never looking up.
"Call me Uncle Dominic."
"Why?"
"Because I am you Uncle."
"I know, but you don't act like one." Mr Koch was at lost of words. Ben finally looked up to see Mr Koch, crouching opposite him, creases on his forehead, looking worried. Ben looked closely and saw Mr Koch's eyes watering.

"Ben," He cried desperately. Ben didn't know how to react.
"Oh Ben... I am so so sorry," sobbed Mr Koch, everything started to gush out, "I am so sorry. I was scared to take care of a child, all the responsibility. It must seem so cowardly... to be scared to take a child in when I opened an orphanage and worked for the queen. The thing is...I was always touchy with family. The loss of my brother was though, then I was given the responsibility to take care of his son..., I was so scared, my brother was so much to live up too. I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. I acted as if you were just a normal boy from the orphanage... you are my nephew. Deep down I always loved you. I thought the Kennedys were awesome, so I put you with them, I was wrong, so wrong. I'm sorry I acted as if I never knew you.... Oh Bennett. I know my mistake now... now I know that I should have taken you in and loved you. You've lost most of your childhood because of me and my dumb mistakes. You've had a tough time haven't you? I can't take it back. Bennett, I love you." Now Ben was at lost of words. Teddy stared at Mr Koch, unblinking. The young man seemed older as he looked up at Ben expectantly, his eyes glossy.
"The Kennedys weren't very nice," admitted Ben, it was all he could come up to say. Mr Koch got teary eyed again.

"I know....oh I know now," Mr Koch looked up at Ben and sat next to him, "It'll take a long time for us to become close but I'm willing to take you in, as my nephew and son." Ben didn't like the thought of having a new father but he liked the thought of having a proper new home and someone that loved him. This was a big change for him, so unexpected. It was such a big change.
How do you know about the Kennedys?" asked Ben.
"What do you mean?"
"How did you know they weren't nice when you thought they were nice."

"Oh. I went to visit them to check on you and they told me they sent you off on a holiday," Mr Koch said darkly, "I asked them what holiday and they sort of shrugged. They claimed to have no responsibility over you and were arrested for losing you." Ben gaped. He couldn't believe it.
"I know this is early and we haven't got to know each other yet but you've got to tell me what has happened since you were at the Kennedys until you got here. Oh and tell me about the dog too." Mr Koch told Ben. Ben took a deep breath and explained. He told Mr Koch everything till his throat was sore. When he was done with his tale, Mr Koch took Ben to his room.

"I designed this just for you Ben," Mr Koch announced proudly, "It was a few months after your parents passed away.." Ben looked around, the room was twice the size of the Kennedy's room. The floor was carpeted, nice fluffy light blue and the walls were painted plain faint blue. A big bed was at the end of the room, with a big blanket and the biggest, most comfortable looking cushions Ben had ever seen. A big teddy bear, bigger than Ben was sitting on the bed, its fur was the softest thing Ben had ever touched.
"Bought it in Corea," Mr Koch pronounced proudly. There was a long desk on the other side, with a new box of pens, pencils, paper, erasers, pencil sharpeners and a pencil case. There was a big white cupboard near the desk and inside were a few clothes fit for Ben. Mr Koch smiled at Ben's reaction.
"I take it you like it," He commented, "Wilson is here to help you, if you need him, tug that rope hanging near your bed. I've also got a few men to get Teddy a bed and a few toys for him, food bowl and water too. I take it you want him to stay with you?"
"Yes Mr Koch.. and er, thank you. Very much." Ben said shyly.
"Please, if you aren't ready to call me Uncle then at least call me Dominic." Mr Koch begged. Ben nodded. Wilson appeared at the doorway and 2 other men behind him brought in a big dog bed. It was big and had fluffy sides, it looked warm and snuggly. They placed it beside Ben's bed.
"Could Teddy sleep with me?" Ben asked.
"I think he'll be contented with the bed he has now..I don't really want his fur all over the covers but if you really want to, you can let him on your bed at times," Mr Koch explained.
"Ok." 2 bowls were brought, one with the best dog food made and the other with fresh water. Teddy ate hungrily, the food Ben had given him before, already long gone.
"Well, I'll leave you for the night. Good night Ben." Mr Koch said.
"Good night."
"We'll take care of everything, the pound and Jonathan," reassured Mr Koch.
"Thank you. I miss Jonathan very much, please find him," Ben pleaded.
"We will," Mr Koch promised before closing the door gently behind him. Ben lay back on his bed and closed his eyes. He wondered whether Mr Koch would keep his promise and find Jonathan and report the illegal pound. He let go of his worries and fell into a deep, undisturbed slumber.

The sun shone brightly in the sky and birds sang joyfully in the garden. Snow was glistening and redbreasts fluttered around landing on the snow before taking off again. The garden was gigantic, all sorts of plants grew and it was a beautiful display of nature. Ben loved the view. He sat by the window, gazing outside with Teddy by his side. He loved the peace and quiet, he was home.
Wilson entered and smiled warmly.
"Good morning little sir," he greeted cheerily. Ben returned the smile.
"Good morning Wilson," he replied. Teddy wagged his tail and Wilson escorted them downstairs into a big chamber/hall. A long table with a carefully embroidered tablecloth covered the table. Plates, trays and beautiful displays contained the most exotic and tasty foods. Ben was ecstatic. Teddy's mouth watered as the smells overtook him. He pounced onto a chair and licked a big bowl of chocolate pudding. A servant with a nice uniform tried to get him off but Teddy kept licking the food. Mr Koch appeared and chuckled, he dismissed the man with a wave of his hand.
"Teddy's pretty hungry," joked Mr Koch.
"Yeah. I'm sorry," Ben apologised, not very sorry.
"Well then settle down. Eat up. Let Teddy eat what he wants, he deserves it."

Ben ate the food. Every food had a different taste, every time better. The food reminded him of the foods with his parents. Ben loved his new home and was starting to warm to his uncle, like the good old days.

A few weeks had passed since Ben had moved in with Mr Koch. Ben was now in the spacious car, listening to his Uncle's favorite music. He watched as buildings whizzed by. They then reached the familiar house/apartment. They parked in front of it and knocked on the door. They waited silently. The doorknob turned uncertainty and Timothy stood at the door. Ben grinned and Timothy looked frightened when he saw Mr Koch. Ben looked carefully and realised that Timothy was much more skinnier and underfed than before.
"Good day young man. I take it you are Timothy. Ben's talked a lot about you. May we enter?" Mr Koch asked casually. Timothy simply nodded and they entered. They walked to Timothy's house and walked through the hallway Ben recognised so well. In the living room, sat Edna. She was knitting by the fire.
"We've got people Grandma, it's Ben," Timothy reported. Edna turned around and smiled warmly at the newcomers. Her smile grew as she saw Ben.
"Ben!" she cried and half ran, half limped over. Ben reached over and hugged her. She then looked at Mr Koch and shook his hand firmly and warmly.
"Good day sir," she acknowledged.
"Good day my kind kind lady," Mr Koch replied.
"Oh, you know my name?"
"Of course I do. Ben has told me so much about you."

"Oh really?"
"Yes and I've got some news. Maybe we should take a seat?"
"Yes of course." Edna led Mr Koch to the kitchen where she prepared a small simple tea. Ben and Timothy were left in the living room alone.
"What happened?" Timothy finally uttered.
"My Uncle took me in. We're going to give you money and we've got you this great house in the mountains with an awesome review," Ben declared excitedly.
"Oh really?" mocked Timothy.
"Yeah..." Ben nodded. Edna entered the room, her cheeks were flushed and she looked as if she had cried.
"Grandma!" exclaimed Timothy, suddenly sweet, "What happened?"
"Oh only the greatest thing ever. We've got a new house. In the mountains!" blurted Edna. Ben clapped joyfully.

The house was charming, made of wood and inside was antique and cosy. There was a respectable garden and a swing hanging from a tree branch. The view was amazing. Ben and Timothy sat side by side, watching the sunset. Mr Koch and Edna were chatting inside. Timothy and his grandma had just moved into their new home. Ben's heart was leaping for joy. Teddy was out exploring the new place and hunting for interesting creatures. Edna came out of the house followed by Mr Koch.
"Hey kids. I have an announcement to make. You know our annual camping trip Timothy?" chirped Edna joyously, "Well Mr Koch has kindly let Ben follow and he is coming of course and so all 4 of us shall go." Timothy wasn't very excited or happy but forced a smile. Ben was overjoyed.
"Yay! We're going together Timothy! You, me, Grandma and Uncle Dominic!" He cheered. Mr Koch beamed as Ben said "Uncle Dominic".

"We are leaving in 3 days Ben. We're going to meet up here and then we're driving to our favorite camping spot and do our usual activities and all." explained Edna. They 4 sat down next to each other, watching the last rays of the sun setting. Teddy joined them later, yapping playfully, he lay down next to Timothy and Ben. They all sat together, like family, as the sun disappeared.