Back to the Basics

Hi. I definitely died a little during this hiatus. 

[Unedited]

* * * 

"So, when do you think we should set out, sir?" Hawkmoth asked, dragging his wet stone against the blade of his machete. "Should we try to set out this evening, or wait until tomorrow morning?" 

"It's almost noon," Papa replied, only glancing up from his book for a split second to peer around the clearing. "If we leave in a couple hours, we should be able to cover a few miles before the sun begins to set. What do you think?" Hawkmoth let out a low hum before he paused his movements, his gaze trailing up to meet mine from across the fire. I glared back with ease, my fingers tightening around the book in my grasp as my other hand lingered on top of Chat Noir's matted blonde locks. He purred lightly, craning his neck to nuzzle further into my touch as he aimlessly drew misshapen figures in the dirt at his feet. 

"Amusing," Hawkmoth muttered, to which I cocked an eyebrow. "You claim you wish to 'civilize' this boy, yet you pet him like a common house cat. Perhaps that is how you plan to treat him, should your plan fail?" My scowl only deepened, and I reluctantly withdrew my hand, earning a wide-eyed glance from Chat Noir. 

"He likes it when I pet him," I retorted. "It keeps him calm." Hawkmoth scoffed, his thin lips twitching at the corners into a wretched smirk. 

"Like I said--a common house cat." With that, he went back to sharpening his machete, the ear-grating scraping ringing through the clearing worse than nails on a chalkboard. I saw Chat Noir begin shuttering as he batted at his ears, his bright green eyes narrowing dangerously at Hawkmoth from across the firepit. 

"I'll begin our lessons as soon as the two of you leave," I mumbled. "He seems to be uncomfortable around the two of you." 

"Actually," Papa piped up from beside his tent," if you don't mind, Marinette, could you begin your lessons before we leave? I'd like to see just how you plan to teach this boy." 

"Yes, please do demonstrate for us," Hawkmoth drawled, perching his elbow on his knee. I gritted my teeth and slammed the book shut before rising from the rock I was seated on. Chat Noir immediately did the same, however, still not used to standing on two feet, he staggered for a moment before falling against me for support. I wrapped my arm around the boy as he clutched to my t-shirt. 

"Fine," I announced. "Hawkmoth, please go retrieve Papa's blackboard." Hawkmoth's smirk disappeared as he shot me a look of utter annoyance, but after an encouraging nod from my father, he let out a huff and rose from his own seat. "Papa, may I borrow some of your textbooks?" 

"As much as I love your enthusiasm, dear," Papa replied, smiling, "I don't think my textbooks will do any good. The material within them is far too advanced even for you, much less a boy who has no grasp of the French language--or any language, for that matter." I let out a quiet hum, my eyes trailing down to the boy peering up at me with curious green eyes. I couldn't help but smile as I reached up and ran my hands through his hair once again, earning another purr in approval. 

"Then, I'll have to begin at the beginning." I heard Hawkmoth let out a grunt as he set the heavy board up beside my tent across the clearing, and I tightened my grip around Chat Noir. 

"Come on, Chat," I cooed, taking slow steps toward the board with him in tow. He followed me hesitantly, his eyes focused on the black board. As we approached it, I removed his hands from my shirt and helped him lower himself onto the ground, where he immediately folded his legs underneath him and peered up at me. 

"Alright, how should I begin?" I breathed, taking a quick glance at Papa, who gave me an encouraging smile. I smiled back before turning to the black board and picking up a single piece of chalk. However, before I could begin to write anything, another piece of chalk was suddenly plucked from the tray, and it was only then I noticed Hawkmoth standing beside me.