Playful Banter

~ Marinette ~

   I can't believe that he'd found me.

   I watched silently as he ran his fingers through my hair, a look of awe spread across his face. I giggled as he dropped my hair back onto my shoulder and growled, flashing a grin that revealed his pearly white canines.

   I bit my lip and stared into his eyes, completely washed away by the vibrant green hue that reflected the crystalline water around us. He stared back at me, keeping our gazes locked. I couldn't help but sigh in content as I looked at his breathtaking features. His defined chin, his rose-tinted cheeks, his beautiful green eyes. . .

   I blinked, snapping out of my trance as I looked him up and down. He was very well built, at least a full head taller than me, and his stature showed that he was strong and defensive, yet gentle and adventurous at the same time. I smiled and took a step back, and a small frown appeared on his face; I thought for a second before letting a smile slip onto my face.

   I took a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut as I plunged my head under the water, and I could hear the muffled sounds of the water rushing down the river from the waterfall, accompanied by the frantic splashing coming from in front if me.

   Holding my breath, I slowly opened my eyes, exposing them to the surprisingly clear water. I could see everything underwater almost clearly; the river weeds swaying against the current, the small frogs bobbing around by the rocks that lined the river bottom, the leaves that fell from the branches above and landed delicately on the surface. . . but my view was soon diminished to nothing as a dark blur suddenly appeared in front of me.

   I gasped, which was a horrible idea as the cold water flooded my mouth and nose, and I kicked off of the rocks beneath me, forcing my head to break through the surface.

   I coughed and gagged as I spit out the water, and I gasped again as I felt something grab onto me from behind. I struggled against the grip, trying to break free, until something soft brushed up against my neck, and I froze. My heart was racing a million miles an hour as I stood still, feeling the same something brush against my neck again. I shivered and slowly turned my head, only to see a whimpering Chat Noir burying his head into the crook my my neck.

   I gasped lightly as he continued to emit small, drawn-out whines, his grip around my waist tightening as he held onto me from behind. I didn't know what to do except stare.

   Is he. . . worried about me? Was he scared when I went underwater?

   I hesitantly shrugged him off and turned to face him. He had his head lowered, but he was peering at me through his bangs. I cringed as I saw sadness, almost fear-like, dancing in his eyes, and I slowly reached out toward him, placing my hand onto his chest.

   His skin was incredibly smooth, and his body was warm, so warm that I wanted to hold him close to me, because, let's face it - I was standing in the middle of the jungle in shorts and a ripped tank top while wading in now-freezing-cold water.

   I could feel his heartbeat pulsing against my fingertips, and I blushed, placing my other hand to my own chest. A small gasp escaped my lips as my eyes trailed from his chest to his eyes.

   Our heartbeats were in perfect sinc.

   I smiled and dropped my hands back into the water, accidentally sending a few drops splashing up in between us. Chat Noir growled and rubbed his hand against the side of his face, twisting his expression into a small but adorable pout. I giggled and dipped my hand into the water again, bringing it back up and flicking it out toward him.

   He growled and backed away as he frantically wiped his face, ridding himself of the cold water. I snorted, trying to hold back a laugh. He looked back up at me, and I gulped as he smirked before quickly diving under the water.

   I frantically spun around, the anxiousness overwhelming me as I waited for him to suddenly spring up out of nowhere. After a couple of minutes had passed, I started getting worried. He hadn't come up yet, and I couldn't see him anywhere.

   "Chat?" I asked, instantly face-palming. He can't understand French, so I don't even know why I tried. I puffed my cheeks, trying to think of something that I could do to find him.

   My head quickly snapped to the side as I heard one if the most unusual sounds I'd ever heard. Well, it was actually completely recognizable, though I didn't expect to hear it in the jungle.

   Laughter.

   Not just any laughter, but hearty laughter. Young laughter. It couldn't have possibly come from Papa or Hawkmoth; the clearing was at least a mile away from here. I didn't know of any animal that could make that noise. . . except one. 

   Is it possible?

   I heard a rustling coming from above me, and I tilted my head up to notice a cliff hanging over the river about 20 feet above me. I backed up a little and gasped when I saw him standing at the edge.

   How the hell did he get up there?

   He had his eyes closed, head tilted back, and he took a deep breath before laughing again.

   His laugh was the most amazing noise I'd ever heard. It rang through the air with a deep vibrato, and he sounded happy; genuinely happy. I grinned and watched as he stretched his arms out and opened his eyes, staring out at the treeline that spread below the horizon.

   I waved my hands above my head, trying to get his attention, and he looked down and smiled, crouching down so that he was on all fours, peeking at me over the edge of the cliff. I laughed at his childish manner and watched as he stood again, disappearing away from the edge. I turned and looked at the trees that lined the edge of the river, waiting for him to come back.

   He didn't.

   Instead, I heard him laugh again, and my gaze wandered back up to the cliff, where I had just enough time to gasp before I saw him hurdle himself off of the cliff, down into the water below.

   I watched, mortified, as he landed in the river, the water exploding around him as he disappeared below the surface. I quickly swam over and dove down into the water, frantically searching for him. I finally saw him, swimming around care-freely under the water. I sighed in relief and swam up to the surface again, wiping the water from my eyes as I waited for him to surface.

   When he did, I grinned and waved him over, and he swam over to me. I waited until he was close enough, and then I took hold of his hand and pulled him toward the river bank.

   I crawled up onto the dry grass and flipped over onto my back, sprawling out onto the soft earth. He followed my lead and laid down next to me, scooching closer until he was pressed up against my side.

   I blushed and turned my head to look at him, and he did the same, staring back at me with his amazing green eyes. I giggled and rolled over so that I was now sitting up, slightly hovered over him. He tilted his head and purred, raising one of his hands to my head, and he began playing with my wet hair again.

   I smiled down at him, and I hesitantly lowered myself onto him so that my head was resting on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat picking up speed, and the sound of the rushing waterfall mixed with the steady thumping in his chest slowly lulled me into a calm sleep.