Chapter 26: All Cards Out

Start from the beginning

I narrow my eyes at him, knowing this can't be the full story.

He smirks at himself. "I sent a few of my men to track you down. They told me about your life. And I decided to give you a few years," he says with a new undertone to his voice - sympathy. "See, I knew you'd have the same problem - falling in love. So I thought we were safe for a few years. Until both of us were ready to commit. Because at 18... I wasn't ready either," he gives me a serious look. "Guess the joke was on me."

A tear falls down my cheek as I stare into the carpet. Oh my God - I finally know why I couldn't love anyone after I left. It wasn't a 'pack thing'. It was because of Darius... I met him before I met Ian.

This is the first time I've admitted the truth to myself. Out loud or on the inside - I was never in love with Ian. I only loved him as a friend.  

Shivers run down my spine as the past comes crashing over me. My life before my mate - before I became a prisoner of fate. And I realize it at last. "I loved him, you know..."

He frowns unbothered. "Ian? You couldn't have," he dismisses the thought.

I shake my head. "Dione," I barely manage to whisper.

I cry full-on now. I've never admitted loving Dione before. Not even to myself - it was hard enough living knowing I caused my best friend's death, but knowing I caused my lover's death would've been too much to bear.

But Darius doesn't seem to be angry. Instead, he takes two steps to close the gap between us and envelopes me into a hug. "I guess we have another thing in common - Samuel killed two people we loved. My grandfather and your past lover."

I accept the hug and sob into his chest. 

What would happen if Dione never died? Would I ever be able to be with him? Would I end up just like my father? The thought is chilling.

Darius pulls me away, holding my shoulder with his hands, looking into my eyes. "Where were you, Lila?"

There we go. Time to face the consequences.

I wipe my eyes and collect myself. "I went to the woods."

His jaw vibrates as his hug is gone. 

He stares at me in anger now. "What happened?" he asks in a low voice.

I scoff with laughter. "I met my mother."

He bites his lower lip as his forehead crumbles. "I thought your mother was dead."

"We better sit down..."

#

Darius watches me in shock. "You've got more shit in your life than the sewage system."

I scoff through my nose with irony. "Don't I know it."

We share a long gaze.

"What happens now?" he stares at me, demanding my answer.

I look at him with nothing to say. 

"I don't know," I admit.

I feel completely lost, once again - just like I felt at 17 when I decided to run away. "You tell me." He was the one who swore on ending it between us if I left anyway.

He exhales loudly and gets up, hands on his hips, his back turned on me.

"I can't continue like this," he finally states.