Chapter 5

Edits to this chapter as of June 19th, 2023

"A child's shoulders were not built to bear the weight of their parent's choices"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Vaugh asked his officer as they made it to his office.

"What the hell is wrong with me? What's wrong with you!? Why do you keep letting this kid get away with breaking the law? You see, he's not learning his lesson." Cruz shouts, much to his discomfort.

Vaugh signed, massaging his temple, exhausted with the exchange already, "You don't understand. This is above me or you; we're the grunts of their world. They tell us to jump; we say how high, okay...My hands are tied; I can't do anything even if I wanted to." Vaugh spoke, defeated. "So, could you please get me the file? I'm late to a meeting with Narcotics." Vaugh says while looking at his phone, late again to an important meeting.

Cruz looked at his superior disgustedly, like a puppet in the rich man's game. Never in his mind would he believe his superior to be corrupt, another officer in this imbalance system. He, however, refused to be one, and he'll be damned if he starts now. "Yes, sir; anything else?"

"How about a smile, don't look so glum, Cruz."

Cruz rolled his eyes, not playing into his captain's games, before leaving his partner in the room.

"Sometimes I worry for him." Torres acknowledges lightening the tense mood.

"Get out of my office Torres."

"Yes, sir," Torres says before quickly returning to the interrogation room.

~~~~~~~~~~

The empty interrogation walls held the dysfunctional family waiting to be released. Silence fell upon them long ago; now, the one shared thought they experienced was boredom. Junior continued looking at the ceiling pipes, wondering what to fill his empty stomach with. Too focused on realizing Torres released them from confinement, only alert to his surroundings when his uncle plucked his ear.

Pushing his seat at the table, following his family's steps toward the door, feeling relief to satisfy his hunger. He stopped by Torres, uttering the words the officer dreaded. "I own you now, Torres; I could've easily had your badge in my hand while you filed for unemployment." Junior empathizes with his hand at the action.

Irritated with the smart-ass teen in front of him, holding back from hitting him again. "I suggest you go 'kid' Your family is leaving without you." holding his composer.

"Okay, okay, Torres, just be ready for the phone call when it's time," he emphasized with his hands up in innocence before waving goodbye while his mom called for him.

Junior rushes to his mother's side, passing his uncle in the hallway.

"What was that about?" Danielle asked her son as they continued to walk to the front desk.