Chapter 4

Edits to this chapter as of June 22nd, 2022

"I didn't invent this twisted system that pits us against each other and makes us do crappy things for status—but I do know how to play it

"I didn't invent this twisted system that pits us against each other and makes us do crappy things for status—but I do know how to play it."

The solitude of the small investigation room was cold and pale in color besides the white light. The only noise to cancel out the voices in Junior's head was the water pipes on the ceiling. Junior wrapped his arms around himself in order to conserve heat while laying his forehead on the table. Those bastards probably turned the AC on higher.

Behind the glass window that separates Junior were the three officers.

"Funny how you guys fail to mention the fresh scrapes on his face when you described what happened." Sergeant Vaugh said while rubbing his forehead in frustration.

Cruz and Torres looked at each other, trying to figure out what to say.

"Okay fine I may or may not have pushed him on the floor and wall. But in my defense, he tackled me, and was resisting arrest." Torres said defensively.

"I understand that you did what you were trained to do. I'll tell his family that when they come. There's only so many times he can keep on getting away with this."

"How many times has he gotten arrested?" Cruz asked.

Sergeant Vaugh looked at his officers, "This would be his 6th time in the past two years, for drag racing, truancy, assault, possession of drugs, and underage drinking. The list is very long, and that's only him. His brothers and cousins oh god, you'd think were running a motel. I've come to the conclusion, that they just breed bad seeds. However, his family pushes hard to not have their names on file, they have many politicians and high-ranking officials in their pockets."

"So he's just another rich kid, who's above the law," Cruz concluded.

"Yes, are we really surprised? Do we live in a society with the haves and have-nots? I hate to break it to you guys but we are the have-nots." Sergeant Vaugh said while pointing to them and finishing, " And he is the have's." pointing toward Junior using the glass.

"So what are we going to do?" Cruz asked.

"Do what I did the last time, we're not going to put it through the system. He's never here usually this long. And I'm gonna need you to pull the police report you filed. As for the scrapes on his face, I don't know. We're going to have to wing it when they get here with the interrogation. You'd think the police officers were the criminals for doing our job."

"Did you do the whole procedure? Fingerprints, saliva for the drugs and process him?"

"Yeah, we processed him before we drove him down here."

"Yeah, I'm going to need you to pull the file when we're done."

~~~~~~~~~~