Chapter 13- Building Blocks

I start to converse about the actual plan these people have. They seem to have one, but I don't know if it could truly work. We have no idea how many people are out there. We'll just have to set up a city for us, at least for now. Then we can expand. If we are safe in this new world, under our carefully made plan, then others would be too.

Unfortunately we can't do it all. Generations after us will have to stitch up the gaping hole left for them. Hopefully pushing the first domino down will affect all the others, and there won't be the one that stops the chain. A single domino. A single person. Or maybe the others could stitch the hole close enough that everyone could jump across to safety when that one domino doesn't fall down.

"How in the world is this going to work?" I ask, everything is just twisting and contorting in my head.

"We just need to establish a working city. Rebuild the place. Then we can organize groups and jobs. Construction workers, police, farmers, distributers, a governor, and a search party."

"This may actually work," I say after he was done listing it all, "It could."

"That the whole point of making them plan, so it can work. This is a huge problem and we need to tackle it."

"This is going to take a lot of work. Let's get started," I say, happy to put my energy toward something helpful.

"Okay," he says a little surprised, "We have to first rebuild six buildings. The rest are salvageable. We are going to bulldoze the last three street of town for farm land. There is a store who carries seeds. I suggest we make this our top priority. We can't function without food. Then, once we get that going, we focus on reconstruction, and finally setting jobs."

"Sounds fair enough. Where are we going to get a bulldozer in this time?" I ask, not knowing the answer.

"I know a place," he says, in an almost frightening tone.

"Well, let's plan, and bulldoze by tomorrow. We could have the farm set up by the end of the week. Then we could move on quickly. The faster we set this up, that faster we can recover people and bring them back here to safety."

"Slow down," he says, trying to jolt me out of my jumbling speech, "We have a small plan. I'll go through it with you, then send some of my men to get the dozers. We have this figured out. You seemed to have forgotten, we didn't have to move," he chuckled at this last part as if leaving everything wasn't hard enough for me, he had to hold it against me that he didn't have to do it.

He then pulls out an old musty colored map. On it were routes, areas, and locations all hi-lighted in yellow. In blue, there were three streets; the ones we are going to rip apart. Houses that were peoples' homes. Their memories stored in the walls of a simple structure. I wouldn't tear them down if I had a choice. But I don't have a choice. Tomorrow they will just be a pile of debris. Debris that we are going to cart off, God knows where, to rot away.

"Roger, go with Travis and Ty to retrieve the bulldozers."

"Can I send one of my men too?" I ask, wanting them to have some action.

"If you must," he answers professionally. Not with an okay, a sure, or a whatever.

"Parker," I say, pointing to him across the room," follow these men to get the bull dozers. Be quick. We need then soon."

"Aye aye captain," he mocks me.

I laugh. Then say, with a big grin on my face,"Just do it."

-------------------------

Authors note:

Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying this. Sorry it's a little short this time. What do you think about the mysterious man? And the plan. Will it work? Thanks for all the reads and votes!!

Luv you all,

•Cara