CHAPTER SEVEN;HELLUVA TRAINING:

“Again!” Benid barked. I swung my left arm at him but he missed it easily.I closely followed with a right hook then a left in quick succession but not a single one landed on him. I swung once more but this time he held my right hand, whisked me forward and threw me on the ground, bruising my right side.

“Aaaah!” I groaned painfully, “that fucking hurt!”

“Again!” he barked once more. I was about to complain that we had been at it for hours but wisely chose to shut my mouth. I struggled onto my feet once more.

"This is not fair, I haven’t landed a single fist or kick on you!” I complained but he just gave me a cold stare.

“I told you this won’t be easy kid. Now come at me once again and this time don’t just throw your fists, try to look for your opponent’s weakness and use it. Study your opponent okay?”

 “Okay, I will try!” I replied gruffly. I held up my fists ready to go once again and considering this is my first day of training it really sucked. Benid wasn’t going easy on me at all, some parts hurt really bad but i couldn't complain much seeing as i was the one who insisted on training early. I swung my right fist but Benid leaned backwards and miss it by a whisker. I tried to kick him but he held onto my leg and kicked the other one leaving me airborne for a few seconds before I hit painfully hit the ground. I stumbled to my feet once more, took in deep breaths and went for it. Left kick, right kick, right fist, left kick, left fist but he blocked all of them swiftly.

 “Not bad,” he commented as we eyed each other. What Benid had no clue is that I had finally seen his weakness, he stood with his shoulder facing me and not his entire body. This allowed him to easily miss my fist and kicks because all he had to do was to move sideways and not backwards. It also placed him in a position to easily direct my fist away from his body. He knew facing me directly rather than on his side would give him the utmost advantage rather than me who faced him directly allowing him to have a more surface area on which his attacks would work. My plan was to enter in the same position as him and attack him from the sides.

"Get ready to taste dust old man!” I said readying myself.

“Bring it!” He replied with a sneer. I took my stance and he noticed the similarity. “Good work kid!” he uttered holding his fists ready to pounce.

I saw his right fist heading my way. I leaned sideways missing it in the nick of time and just before he pulled the other one, I swung my left fist which to my utter surprise landed right on his jaw. The impact echoed in my ears and it felt good but before I could even register what was happening, a fist landed on my temple followed by another one on my jaw and a kick on my chest. I fell in utter agony.

“Never let your guard down just because you landed the first punch! Get up!” I heard him beckon.

“Do I really have to? As far I am concerned you are kicking my ass without even breaking a sweat. It is unfair man!” I whined staying down on the dusty hard ground.

 “I never said it would be easy and listen if you expect everything in your life to come easy then you are not worth living.”

“Don’t lecture me on having things easy for we both know I have never had anything easy in my entire life. Six years Benid, six damned years! I ravaged for food, stole from innocent people and pissed so many others so yeah nothing came easy!” I had reached my limits with the training and his bashing comments weren't really helping my mood.

“I understand what you went through kid and that is why I am here, to make sure you become stronger, better and a person who people will look up to for their protection. I want to make you a man your parents would be proud of but to do that I need you to be strong through all the fists, kicks and everything I throw at you. I need you to never give up if for not yourself then for the promise you kept to your parents.” He said getting softer with each word. He stared down at me waiting for my answer. I couldn't help remembering that night as I remembered my promise. I didn't want to fail my parents again. The pain of that memory brought me to my feet once again.

 “What are we waiting for then old man?” I said with renewed vigor. As i looked into his eyes i saw a hint of surprise but it was replaced quickly with satisfaction. Good now he knew i was serious about my aims.

We both took our stance and were just about to begin when we heard Melissa shouting for us to break for our lunch. Thank God for small mercies.

 “Okay kiddo training resumes after lunch. Make sure you get your energy levels up. I wont be going easy.

“Yeah sure i will. But what about you. Sure those old bones can take a beating?” I said with a coy smirk.

  “Don’t try to be funny with me kid or else I might make sure for the next one month all you will be feeding on is porridge!” he threatened, his expression quite serious.

"You cant be serious?" I said very shocked at his words. He suddenly broke into a loud laughter.

"You should have seen your face! I am just kidding Lad, cheer up!” and he gave me a sudden punch on my upper arm, “let us go for lunch then.”

I watched him walk away while rubbing my arm cause damn the punch really hurt.

“Crazy old man, how can someone say that was a joke? Maybe he should be taught what humor really is,” I said to myself while still rubbing the pain pain away.

  “Hey kiddo are you just gonna stand there or are you coming?” He turned around to say. I had not realised i had stopped and was watching his broad back as he walked into the house. I shook my head vigorously and quickly followed him in all the while hoping for a delicious lunch. I was really starving.........