CHAPTER THREE:THE THIEF!

"Thief!" a shout rang through the still fresh and rejuvenating air and I immediately took off with no hesitation. I had to save my skin. My heart was beating so hard in my chest I could almost feel it wanting to jump out. I took an immediate shortcut by an exposed and hilly road, where the bitterwind, blowing over a range of snowy summits to the north, almost flayed the skin from my face.My heart beat thick, my head grew hot; a sound filled my ears, which I deemed the rushing of wings; something seemed near me; I was oppressed, suffocated : endurance was breaking down.
"Stop you thief!" I heard someone shout which prompted me to turn and stare only to find two peacekeepers running after me.
"Damn it!" I cursed under my breath as I took another corner.
I was running so fast through the busy, lean and bloated market, jumping over stalls and swerving from left to right missing the countless number of traders and buyers like nobody's business. The peacekeepers were gaining on me and I was short on places to hide leaving me with only one choice, the rooftops. I saw a crate some short distance away. I stepped onto it leaping into the air and grabbing a hanging reef of a fruit stall. With all my strength, I lifted myself up and finally I was standing on the roof. The peacekeepers came to halt and dazed up at me as I took this opportunity to make faces at them as a sign of mockery knowing too well they couldn't follow me up there. Felt good.
"You can't run forever kid!" One of them said with anger all over his gnarled face. I could feel it radiate through the air.
"I think I just did," I answered so confidently and sauntered away, steadfast like the Northern Stars.
I kept on walking until I found a good spot to sit and enjoy my stolen,roasted, turkey leg and buns. So young, so damaged.
Six years had now passed since my parent's death and circumstances forced me to start stealing. No ,I was not experiencing life on the fast lane, I led a hand to mouth existence. I had lived it all. Don't get distracted and think I needed a little growing, no, I had already grown ,was just getting older. I lived in a society where the rich did not only despise the poor but also the needy and survival was only for the fittest. I tried to look for work but it was always futile and it finally turned me into a survivor but I had not forgotten my promise. I asked around for any information on Eber and most people either didn't know who he was and those who did chased me away immediately and I was growing desperate."Never give up, up-man and try, "I kept chanting, it was like mantra, it's what pushed me to continue living.
I could vividly remember my mother's words and my father's and part of me felt that I had disappointed them. They wanted me to be a great man, an honorable man and here I was stealing and wanted by the hostile peacekeepers. My eyes were getting misty as I got a hold of the necklace my mother gave me. "I am sorry mother and father, I have disappointed you," I whispered to myself as I let go of the turkey and buried my face into my hands and started crying. I felt like a disgrace, a waste of oxygen, I cursed mother earth for hosting me. It was all bad.
"You know I don't know which is worse, you stealing or you sitting on top of a roof and crying like a whiny little kid," I heard a voice say and I slowly lifted my head to see who it was. Above me stood a man, he had squire jaws, a short, pointy nose, dark eyes, white beard and hair which was tied up behind. He wore a long coat, leather boots and had a sword in a sheath which was strategically placed on the left side of his waist.
"How are you Ladin?" he greeted me like we were old time friends. I immediately stood up in surprise and shock and took some few paces from where he was standing. "What do you want from me? I don't remember stealing from someone like you," I replied to his greeting as I clenched my fists. Ready to pounce on him like an angered lion. I kept moving round and round, evoking memories of gladiators who used to fight it out in the amphitheaters.
A smile crept across his face, "I am here for you Ladin and I am not going to fight you."
"For me? That's the first time I heard that from anyone. No one has ever been, it's a cold, cold world. You must be kidding. I think you mistook me for someone else sir, so I'd best prefer if you left, " I replied.
"I don't make mistakes and you know I can offer you shelter, clothes and food if you come with me."
I broke into a short mocking laughter, "Sir, I don't trust strangers especially one that shows up from nowhere and offers me shelter and food."
"Okay then," he sighed and started walking away, "then you will never have revenge on the person that killed your parents.'' That stopped me short. No one knew the truth about my parent's death!
"Wait! What did you just say?" I asked, shocked and appalled.
"You heard me. There is a way to get your revenge instead of just crying about it," he answered coming to halt and turning to face me once more. His face was covered with a huge smirk.
"How do you know about that in the first place?" I asked warily.
"Because I am the man your father talked of," he replied. At that moment I did remember my father saying he will find me but why after so many years? Why now? I needed answers and he was my best chances at getting them.
"You waited all those years and just decided to show up now!" I faked my indignation.
"I will explain why I waited for this long but first I need you to come with me,'' he replied
But I was still adamant. "Why should I trust you?"
"Because right now I am all you got if you want your revenge. I know it is such a heavy burden for you to bare Ladin but your parents did not just die for nothing and me showing up just now gives you all the right not to trust me but please just give me a chance. I will tell you all that you didn't know about your parents and make you a man they always wanted you to be. So, will you come with me please?" he was quite convincing but I had already made up my mind to follow this guy whether I trusted him was the burning question.
"On one condition, I get a sword like yours."
"You will have more than a sword Ladin."
"What are we waiting for then?"