CHAPTER ONE;DEATH

Desperation stank heavily in the very air we breathed out as we trudged through the heavy undergrowth of the forest.

"Come on Lily, " I huffed,the thick forest air playing havoc with my lungs.

Our heavy breathing could be heard as we ran past trees of all kinds, jumped over dozens of bushes and missed countless low hanging tree branches. She was tiring fast, though I couldn't blame her. She was never used to this as I was and I hoped to keep it that way. We jumped over a particularly large tree root and Lily stumbled causing me to tighten the hold I had on her hand. I couldn't let them take her away from me,I thought as I looked sideways at her. Even the disheveled state could not mar her beauty from the billowing mane that was her hair, her slender body to the bare feet that were now caked in mud. But the hair wasn't what got my attention the first time we met, it was her icy blue eyes which seemed to sparkle everytime she took a glance at me as it sat transfixed on the most gorgeous face I had seen to date.

Suddenly a whizz of an arrow cutting through the still air took me out of my thoughts and brought me back to reality. I dodged to the left pulling Lily down with me as the arrow hit the tree bark in front, where my head had been seconds before. I quickened my running and all but dragged Lily with me as the fear and desperation I felt rose to new heights. It seemed luck was done favoring me as the next arrow caught me square between my shoulder blades. The pain was blinding, more like searing. Pain like this was enough to send one over the edge but I couldn't, I had to hold on despite the millions of stars exploding in my head. She stared at me, her icy blue eyes full of love, hope.... and trust. That she believed in me to get us away from this, was enough to banish all thoughts of fatigue and the searing pain was tucked in a dark corner in my mind as I stumbled ahead this time Lily leading the way.

I couldn't let them win, I had to hold on, for her sake I had to. Finally from a distance I caught a glimpse of the old Neiris bridge. I knew she would be safe if she got to the other side. The Mailocks couldn't cross the bridge knowing too well it would be a self inflicted death sentence. With this new motivation we trudged on faster, the faint flicker of hope growing brighter. We had barely put our feet on the bridge when another arrow whizzed past. I was pumped full of adrenaline that it was a few seconds later that I registered the other pain in the back of my thigh. I twisted back to take a look at it and found yet another arrow lodged into the flesh of my thigh. I gritted my teeth and almost bit my tongue as another wave of pain racked my body. Letting out a deep moan of pain I let go of her hand as I stumbled. My breathing was coming in short gasps and I tried to will myself to focus. Ignoring the pain in my right thigh and blood seeping from the arrow wound in my shoulder and now my right thigh, I tried to stand straight. Lily held me, helping me up but as soon as I recovered my footing, another arrow bore deep into my left thigh. I let out a throaty scream and fell on my knees. Pain was just an illusionary sensation that my mind could shut down if I needed to, I assured myself and attempted to stand up. I tried over and over again but it was futile. Tears were now drenching down Lily's face.
She was still holding onto me and refused to accept the fact that I was defeated. It was over now, I couldn't save her myself but there was still hope for her, my plan B. The decision I was about to make would tear me apart but it had to be done and my resolve grew with the approaching sounds of hoof beats.

"Lily, " I whispered her name like a prayer putting my bloody palm on her cheek.
"I need you to run as fast as you can to the other side of the bridge. A friend of mine will find you and take you to safety, "I told her as I looked into her eyes. She shook her head still crying as I drew her closer.
"I won't leave you Ladin. We stick together no matter what ,that was our promise to each other. I won't allow him to lay a finger on you, I would rather die than let that happen. "
"Please Lily, you have to. I love you and I cannot bear seeing you being sacrificed by that devil, it will tear my heart into pieces. So I am begging you to run, please!" I added more emphasis to my words as the galloping horses got closer. I saw the denial in her eyes and before she could say anymore I started whistling. He appeared from the other side of the bridge dressed in a red cloak that bellowed as he approached.

"What are you doing Ladin? "
"Keeping you alive. Take her and do what I asked. Keep her safe for me, " I said resting my gaze on him.
I turned to Lily, took her hand and placed it on my cheek, "I love you Lily remember that whatever happens. "
I gave her one last kiss and pushed her towards him before she got a chance to say another word. He held onto her lifted her up and placed her on his shoulders in a blink of an eye even as she struggled to remain by me.

"Please don't do this Ladin. I love you! You promised to never leave my side. Ladin! Ladin! I love you! Let go of me! Let go! Ladin! "

Finally they made it across the barrier and I was glad none of Eber's arrows got to him. They reached the other side of the bridge just as Eber and his men approached me. Two of his Hartemas forced me up.

Dismounting,he stalked towards me and took his time crouching before me.
"Ladin! Oh Ladin! You took her away from me and decided to run away with her! You actually thought you could outrun me, you fool! Your friend was lucky I couldn't get a clear shot. Well anyway we will find him soon enough and as for you... "He pulled out a dagger from his pocket flashing it in my face, "do you have any last words Ladin? "

A sneer decorated his ugly face as he stared down at me. I didn't care now that Lily was gone, smiling I looked into his eyes. Oh did I have something to say.
"I Ladin Writhin, " I breathed out heavily, "die in the hands of my enemy but not before I slay hundreds...... "Eber stabs me in the rib cage but I was not done yet, "I live to protect the innocent from the evils that roam the dark forests and among the good..... "My breathing was now distorted,"I shall forever live in the hearts of many. By the power and responsibility cast upon me...... " a second stab went into my abdomen. The pain was excruciating but I could not let him have the pleasure of seeing me in pain and suffering. I staggered back slightly, ".....upon me..... I die like a hero in the hands of my enemy. "Laughing now at the bitter look on his face I spurt out a thick blood in my mouth right onto it.
"You will never have her Eber! "I cracked madly as he held me by the collar of my cloak and whispered into my ears, "Your father will be so disappointed. I'll send your regards to Lily, 'hero'! "But nothing registered as a thick fog was already clogging my thoughts. Without hesitation he pushed me and my body went tumbling down the bridge. As it hit the surface of the Neiris river with a loud spurt, I got a glimpse of his smug face, happiness and satisfaction written all over it. The water was cold, the pain was nerve shattering and all I could hear was Lily's sweet voice ringing in my head as out last moment played over and over again in my head. I hoped she would forget me and move on. I had loved her and I had done what I promised even it meant sacrificing myself and for that moment the last words I was able to whisper were, "I am sorry Lily, mother and father, I have disappointed you all. "

But then how did I get here? What brought me to be in this situation ? As I took the last gasps of my last breathe on this world, memories of how it all begun flooded my mind.......

*Author's note*
To all my readers, thank you so much for this and I also want ask you to please vote for my story and even add a comment or two!it helps alot