Chapter Twenty Seven- I Don't Deserve You

So remember that chapter I told you to prepare yourselves for?? Well that was just a practice run. A test. A trial. Whatever you want to call it. This is the real stuff now.

Stuff just got serious.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

(aka, don't die of a heartattack)

7/20/14

12:13 p.m.

I was scrolling through my phone messages to West. The screen lite up my dark room. Frankie lay asleep next to me, her body slowly moving up and down in a rythmatic motion telling me she was fast asleep. I had been up for nearly a week now, with the occasional 4 hours of sleep each night, if I was lucky.

The last time I heard from West was when I was with Bennet, and that seemed like a lifetime ago. I had called him several times, left many message, and texted about a jillion more times.

Are you okay??

I'm worried.

I don't want to be the crazy girlfriend here, but WTF!!!

All were ignored.

One time, about two years after Carter disappeared, my parents went through this "giving-up" phase. Mom wanted to stop posting his picture in the newpaper, Dad thought it would be best if the "Have You Seen Me" articles stop sending in his updated pictures of what Carter would look like if he were still around.

Dr. Jones went on a rampage with that one. She said that giving up wasn't an option, like she had a choice as to what our options were. She told us this story about this girl who was in her twenties. The girl saw a picture of herself in a newspaper and when she did more research she found out that her parents weren't her parents, which ended up being a good thing because her father was a Coo-Coo. She reunited with her real family and the rest is history...

So we never stopped paying the newpaper to print his pictures and we updated the "Have You Seen Me" articles every year. Nothing has come from it, but that story always stuck with me. This girl had been missing for YEARS and boom! Just like that she was home again. Could happen to Carter right?

Anyway, I was thinking about that tonight, which is why I pulled out my phone and texted West AGAIN, because maybe this time he would respond. I wasn't giving up, which Dr. Jones would be proud of me for, right?

My screen lite up a few minutes later and I fumbled with it excitedly. It wasn't West though.

Come outside- Ben

I sat up, looking over at Frankie just to make sure she was really asleep. I crawled out of bed and caught a sight of Bennet standing on my front law anxiously wiping his hands on his jeans like he always does. I slipped on some flip flops and tip-toed down stairs.

"Ben!" I whispered, carefully closing the door behind me.

"Oh good." He whispered back. "I was worried you might be sleeping."

I walked over to him. The air was perfect. Not to hot, not to cold. "What's wrong?"

"One time, when West and I were like 14, we stole his father's car."

"What?" I wasn't sure if I was saying that like I was stocked or like I wanted to know why he was telling me this at 1 a.m. in the morning.

"We stole the car and we just drove. We drove and drove and drove until we came to this stupid Carnival thing." He looked down at me, like I was suppose to know what he meant. I didn't reply, so he continued. "At the time, it was just a wild adventure, but now that I think about it..."