Chapter One- Hamilton Family

1/6/14

6:43 a.m.... I think...

I was thinking last night, after I got home from the park. I wondered where Carter was when he was taken. I mean, no one really knows. There are a lot of places a twelve year old boy could wander off to. The toy store, the candy shop, following a bird...

I sat there under the willow tree justing thinking about how easily it could have been me taken instead of him. In fact, it might have been easier to take me. Carter was taken during the day. It was night for me. How much easier it would have been for someone to take me right there in the park? All alone, in the dark, without a soul in site. Studies show that more people get taken at night than during the day. It could have been me... Any day, it could have been me...

That's the sad part though.

Wishing it was me.

They tell you not to wish that. They tell you that those thoughts are bad.

But I can't help it. Carter was just a little boy. He was probably scared. Terrified. If it were me I might have actually had a chance to get away. I was stronger, faster, smarter even. If only they had taken me...

Listen to me, talking like I know what happened. We're not even sure if he was taken. For all we know he could have ran away. He could have secretly hated us. Right now he could be living it up on some beach somewhere, happy as a clown.

But I know that's hopeful thinking.

I know my brother's gone. I know-

1/6/14

11:52 a.m.

Sorry, I forgot what I was talking about. Some guy on the bus started talking to me.

Well... not some guy... He said his name was Bennet. And apparently he isn't a cat.... inside joke.....

I have to admit, I was a little surprised he started talking to me. I have lived in this town all my life, and even though I was popular for a few months after my brother went missing, everyone eventually forgot about me. Which was fine with me. I don't really like talking anyway. Invisiblity is my tallent and my hobby.

Bennet had to be the first guy to talk to me in... well... in years really. Other than talking about some science project, or what time it is, boys usually don't talk to me. Most avoid me.

Not that I mind.... I mean... I usually don't like to talk anyway.

Well... after talking with Bennet maybe I do like talking to boys.... a little....

I'm Avery Clark,

And I might like talking to boys... a little...

* * * * *

I took another bite of cake, nearly vomitting it up. I was so full. After a whole afternoon of sampling cake I was ready to go home and pass out. Especially since I had to deal with a mixture of people.

Mushy Chris Hamilton and my mother. West constantly hitting on Janet, who outright rejected him several times, which almost beat my afternoon routine of watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The wedding planner never seemed to shut up, explaining how getting a wide variety of cake flavors would keep the guests happy.

Screw the guest, it's not their day. It's my mother's.

I never understood why weddings were so important, but I got the point that girls dream of it all their lives, and considering my mother and father just had a quick fling before he left, I want my mother to have her perfect day just the way she wants it. Who cares what the freaking guests want.