Chapter 37

Chapter 37

“How much time do I have Kyle?”  Santo ask his best friend.

“By the end of today, maybe tomorrow.  Hernandez is pushing for the warrant now.”  Kyle tells his friend.

“Is she alright?”  The worry is in his voice.

“She’s holding everything in.  Zoe just left to go see her.”

“Kyle I can’t do this.  I hate what this woman has done to my family, I don’t want to sleep with her ever again.”

“I understand, but the suits aren’t giving in.  Since we didn’t bring in Clayton Simon or Cromwell, this is the only thing they will accept.  You’ve got to get that list of their clients from Alina.”   He tells Santo.

“The bastards are being so hardcore.  We closed down their operation.  We gave them their men.”  Santo responds.

“Santo I know that but we didn’t give them what they ask for.  This is the only option they will accept.  I have a lead on Cromwell, but I need time to check it out.”

“How much time?”  Santo says impatiently. 

“Do you want to take that chance?  We’re talking days here.  I don’t think Hernandez is going to wait that long before he tries to arrest Taylor.  You’ve got to stay with Alina right now and watch her.”  Kyle tries to convince him.

“I know she’ll never forgive me.”  Santo becomes more distressed as he thinks about what he’s about to do.

“She will, you’ll explain it to her.”  Kyle says reassuringly.

“No you don’t understand, we talked about it.  She hates Alina and what I’m about to do it’s….I’ll do it to protect her.  Keep me posted.”   Santo sounds resigned to his fate.

“Where will you be?”  Kyle wants to know.

“At the Plaza Hotel.  Suite 927.”  He tells him.

*******   

Taylor stares at the five unopened boxes of pregnancy test she has purchased over the last three days.  They sit on her kitchen counter waiting for her to take the test. She tries to ignore the colorful boxes that proclaim one hundred percent accuracy as she waits for the steam to shoot out of her tea kettle.  It’s been four days and what did she expect.  She’s happy to be back.  She wanted to come home so she did.  It feels good to be back at work.  She’s happy to be around her friends again.

The board meeting was today.  She was surprised that Julian didn’t bat an eye when he saw her slip into her seat.  She suspects that Santo told him to be on the lookout for her since she hasn’t heard from him yet.