"I mean, I might," Shawn, shrugged. "Someday."

"And I bet you'll be great at it," the mother smiled.

"Thanks," Shawn smiled, a little awkwardly. He bid them goodbye, giving them his number for their spoiled princesses's next birthday, and got in his car.

It was time to head back to his cabin in the middle of nowhere with that squirrel he sometimes loved to hate. It was his home away from home, or more accurately the place where he kept his stuff. It was also where he hung his photographs. It was where he'd put all this favourite photos together in one place - the extra special ones - and of those two stood out most to him. As he drove out of the city limits and past thick patches of trees, Shawn couldn't help but wonder if those photos weren't just photos. What if he could hear their voices echoing throughout his cabin? Wouldn't it make the place warmer, to have Katy and Maya there? It wouldn't happen, of course, but it was a nice thought.

Shawn arrived home, and said hi to Steve the squirrel before unpacking his car. It was so quiet. Even being on the road created more noise than being home alone. He put on some music, deciding that would fix his problem and went about his day. Shawn tried to keep his mind on task, but it wondered.

When Shawn looked at Katy he saw... what did he see? His girlfriend? Maya's mother? Shawn knew he should look at her and see more. He knew it all fit together perfectly like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle made to fit. Shawn could say the words, and become part of that family. He could do that. It wasn't even that hard to imagine, but did Shawn have what it took to sustain that kind of happiness? If he played it safe, things would be as good as they were right now and he could live with that. If he went for it, then screwed everything up, Shawn just didn't want to think about it.

Ring. Ring. Shawn picked up his cell phone.

"Hey," Cory said. "You home?"

"Yeah," Shawn replied. "Why, what's going on? Is this about Maya or Riley?"

"Yeah, they're coming to see you," Cory said.

"Oh okay," Shawn replied. "Thanks for the heads up." And Cory hung up the phone.

It was like they'd read his mind. Shawn knew they probably weren't coming here on their own to simply keep him company, but it felt like that for a moment. For the first time, Shawn would have guests here. Shawn looked down at what he was wearing and decided Cory would approve, then went on to fret about what to feed them. Just to get here, the girls would have to get a train, take a bus, walk all the way here from the bus stop, then brave his stupidly long driveway to the front door. To Shawn, this all added up to them being hungry, but what did they like again? Shawn had never actually fed either of them a meal at home before. He'd only ever bought them food while out, and he was just now realizing how different that was. Instead of just paying for what they order, he had to come up with something to serve. Yikes!

But why on earth would Maya come all this way to see him? It wasn't like it had been so very long since he'd been to New York to see them. Shawn didn't have time for this kind of thinking as he rummaged through his cupboards for something to serve. There was tea! Yes, and cookies. That was something at least or was he overthinking this.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Oh well, no time to change it now. Shawn opened the door to see his two favourite teenagers standing there looking a little bedraggled. The two girls came in carrying what looked like garbage bags full of who knows what.

"Nice move Maya," Shawn said when both girls were sitting down. "Running away, coming here. It's something I would do."

"I wasn't my idea," Maya said.