That he didn't know his father enough; that he didn't know Sean's state of affairs beyond his house in Jersey, and his business dealings elsewhere. He didn't know the first place to begin, but time was ticking down.

He needed to figure it out, and soon.

"Why take her?" Killian asked. "Why her?"

Connor pulled the packet of information he had stolen from his father's house, and handed it over without a word. He waited Killian out, hoping he wouldn't need to explain further once the man got a good look at the contents.

Killian whistled low. "This is some crazy cac, mate."

"Understatement."

"What about vacation homes or a place out of state?"

Connor shook his head. "None that I know of."

"He changed his M.O. over the years," Killian noted.

"Not sure that matters, boyo."

"It could, Connor."

He didn't think so. "His end goal remained the same—he killed them. He killed them in a very specific way that has not changed from the first girl to the last."

"But he went from killing them upon conclusion of hunting them, to keeping them for sometimes years before he acted on that final scene. Something changed, whatever it was, and that means she probably won't be any different."

Connor ignored the soreness in his throat as he spoke through his rage. "That doesn't help me, Killian."

"It gives you time."

"An illusion of it, not a promise."

But Killian did have a good point.

Evelyn was not like the other victims in Sean's folders. She had spent years under men who beat her, who took away her life sources as punishments, and only gave them back as rewards for appropriate behavior. She was a manipulator in those games, learning to enjoy pain, teaching herself to control situations to get what she needed or wanted to sustain her life.

It had never been about them.

She always took care of her.

"This might not be any different," Connor said, voicing his inner thoughts.

Killian glanced. "What are you going on about?"

"Who knows my father best, or damn near?"

"Uh ..."

He didn't really have to think about it like Killian did, because he already knew the answer. Most of Sean's men, including Lieutenants like Killian, assumed the man's son was his closest companion. Conner knew different. The only person Sean trusted throughout his life, though he would never call him a friend, was the same fool who had been there since day one.

"Lachlan," Connor said, "always his right-hand."

"You think he knows where Sean went to?"

"Maybe not. But he's been around Sean since I can remember, and before that, Declan and his father. He knows something. And it might not be what I need, but it could get me there."

"So, we need to find him, right?"

Connor nodded, already turning around and heading to his bedroom. He was a feckin' mess, bloody and dirty, and needed a change of clothes. He didn't mind the blood, but he figured a clean outfit might be to his benefit when he went on a rampage. He was already crazy enough without adding to it with his attire.