Chapter Seventeen

"The jet is grounded," Killian said from the other side of the hotel room, "so we're stuck here until the fog lifts. Probably morning, at least."

Connor resisted the urge to bang his head against the nearest wall. He had always wanted to visit Ireland, and spend all the time he could learning about a culture and his history that had been mostly erased, other than the nuances he had grown up around. But not like this, not under these circumstances. He wanted to get back on familiar soil; he wanted to get Evelyn safely back home, and far away from all that she had seen while being here.

"Brian has them on standby, should something change," Killian added when Connor stayed silent. "He doesn't think it will, though."

"Grand."

Killian nodded at the closed door behind Connor. "She all right?"

Connor wasn't sure how to answer that question. "She's ... I'm not sure."

"Do you want me to run out and grab something—clothes or whatever?"

They had found some things Evelyn, and the other girl, had been wearing before Sean stripped them of their clothing. Evelyn had been horrified at the idea of putting the dead woman's dress on, as it was the only piece of clothing that hadn't been ruined. She settled for a blanket from the trunk of Sean's car, instead. Connor had carried her through the field and back to their vehicle while Killian burned down the house.

"Something warm," Connor said in reference to what Killian should look for. "She keeps shivering."

He wasn't sure if it was because Evelyn was cold, or if it was something else.

"Sure, mate." Killian checked his watch. "I'll grab something for you to wear, too."

Connor glanced down at his bloodstained pants and shirt. He'd forgotten about his own mess in the chaos of everything, but he didn't care. "Whatever."

"Try to get some rest. If we do have to wait until morning to take off, it'll be early as hell. Sleep while you can."

Connor would sleep when he was dead.

Killian clearly noticed Connor's disinterest in his expression because he added, "Seriously, we left a mess back in the States, Connor. You're going to need the rest to deal with it when we get back."

Well, there was that, too.

"Set the clothes outside the bedroom door when you get back," Connor said instead of replying to Killian's other statement. "Don't bother me, or her, tonight."

"Got it."

Connor waited until Killian was gone before he slipped back into the bedroom. Evelyn hadn't moved from her spot, sitting in the old windowsill of the hotel, staring out over the dark cliffs. They had been lucky to even get a room, considering it was a popular hotel, and tourists typically booked ahead. He reminded himself to give Killian's distant cousin another thanks, the next time he saw him for making a phone call to get them in.

Evelyn had discarded the blanket they'd taken from Sean's car, instead opting to wrap herself with the quilt that had been tossed over the loveseat in the bedroom. "I think it would be a pretty sight, if it wasn't so dark."

"And foggy, apparently." She passed him a questioning look, and Connor shrugged. "Seems the fog is going to keep us here a while longer, love."

"Oh," she mumbled. "Okay."

Connor didn't move from his position against the door, worried that Evelyn's calm state might be broken somehow if he intruded on her space. "Are you?"